question

egenolf avatar image
egenolf asked

A remark on the Wakespeed WS500 terminology in the manual.

Installing a WS500 now. Following the Wakspeed manuals.
What Victron calls "Bulk charge" phase, WS calls this "Acceptance charge" phase
What Victron calls "Absorption charge" phase, WS calls this "Overcharge"
"Float" is used in the same way. "Equalisation" is used in the same way
What Victron calls "storage charge" , WS calls this "Post Float"
At first sight this is a little confusing in the respective manuals.

manual error
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

I think you should contact wakespeed re there terminologies, as the victron ones are basically industry standard ones

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

Not sure which WS500 manual you're reading but this appears pretty standard. Admittedly they do mix and match their terms, but they're all pretty well cross-referenced right in the manual. I blame some of the mix-and-match on Wakespeed being acquired by Dragonfly after Dragonfly merged with Chardan. Anytime you have multiple unrelated companies being thrown together you end up with some oddities in technical docs and elsewhere.

ws2.png

ws2.png (192.1 KiB)
2 |3000

jjduke avatar image
jjduke answered ·

Appendix D of the "Wakespeed-Communications-and-Configuration-Guide-v2.5.1-1.pdf" gives a pretty good description of the wakespeed terminology in the comments (//...). They DO have a bulk phase that is the same as Victron's. Accept mode maps better to absorption mode. Over charge mode is fairly specialized, so is post float... the table @Justin Cook posted does an excellent mapping, too.

For me, so long as the engineering level discussions clarified the equivalent mode/phases/terms AND they tested that all the cases were covered and safe, I am happy to do the mapping myself when i delve into the details. I DO wish the terms were the same, but, like programming, my variable names are likely not the same as the variable names you might use. Wakespeed has more configurations than just Victron to deal with, so I wouldn't expect Wakespeed, nor Victron to use the same names for everything.

And, of course, they spell equalization with a "z" not an "s" :-)

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic