question

Hilton avatar image
Hilton asked

2 off 150/35 Smart Solars charging amperage on a single battery bank.

Hi everyone!

I just want to confirm two things here before I pop a battery bank. So as per the title I have 2 smart solar controllers networking, charging a single battery bank comprising of 2x200Ah batteries connected in series. Battery manufacturer recommends a max charging current of 30A per battery.

My first question is do I set a charging current of 15A as there are 2 controllers giving a total of 30A or 30A on each controller.

Second question being, as the battery banks are connected in series does this mean the recommended charge amperage doubles to a max of 60A?

Thanks in advance.

MPPT SmartSolarcharge current limit
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

Yes, you do set the charge current of each controller to 15A, and no, with batteries in series, the max current remains at 30A, as the same current is flowing through each battery.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Hilton avatar image
Hilton answered ·

Cheers Mike, appreciated.

2 comments
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

@Hilton If there's no GX device, setup a smart network so they can coordinate on tail currents.

0 Likes 0 ·
Hilton avatar image Hilton kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Cerbo GX is on the way. I do have networking setup at the moment but was unsure if the charge current had to be split between the 2 controllers or not. I plan on adding another 3 in future. Does this mean the 30amp max charge current has to be split into 5?.
0 Likes 0 ·
1234enough avatar image
1234enough answered ·

Seems a very expensive way of charging with 30A through 5 x 150/35 , can I ask why on earth you plan to use a controller capable of delivering 35A at only 6A max ?

1 comment
2 |3000

Hilton avatar image Hilton commented ·

What started out as 200ah system on a PWM charger to run modems and a laptop during load shedding has grown into a hobby of sorts. My intention is to surely but slowly build up to an 8 or 10Kw system and go completely off grid.

1 Like 1 ·
Fideri avatar image
Fideri answered ·

@Mike Dorsett and @kevgermany I'm guessing under DVCC in GX you would put 30a or less (not necessarily 15a)?

Fideri

2 |3000

Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

Yes with the GX you would put the max battery charge current in at 30A, it will then allocate a proportion to each charger.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MPPT product page

VictronConnect manual

PWM or MPPT

MPPT calculator

MPPT codes