question

mattplowman avatar image
mattplowman asked

Solar Panel issue - 75/15

I have two 39 watt deck mounted sunbeam system panels that have worked perfectly for 3 seasons , these are wired in parallel to a victron 75/15 MPPT. Last week I noticed the output was a lot less then usual and ran some tests.

It looks like I have an issue with the port side 39 watt panel but I am not sure what it is. When I disconnect the port panel from the starboard and run on a multi-meter the results on the port panel are about what I would expect (although possibly the volts are a little low). With the port panel disconnected today the starboard panel was producing exactly what I would expect in full sun on the victron mppt. Here’s where it gets a bit confusing….when I reconnected the port panel to the starboard in parallel it dropped the whole system down to next to nothing, I am at a loss as to how that can happen in a parallel setup? I would have thought in parallel if the panel was faulty it would simply add nothing rather than impact the other panel’s performance, It’s behaving like it is in series not parallel?

So in summary, when the starboard panel is connected to the mppt it is producing as expected , when I test the port panel on the multi meter it is producing as expected but when I connect together the amps drop to nothing.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciate.

MPPT SmartSolarSolar Panel
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Sounds like a fault in the port panel or its wiring. What output from the MPPT when that panel alone is connected?
2 Likes 2 ·
mattplowman avatar image mattplowman kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Thank you for your prompt response , when I connect the port panel to the MPPT the amps drop to .1 when on multimeter it reads 1+.
0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Test to connect only the port panel to the MPPT and see what happens.

To test a Panel you also need to measure the short circuit current, you only measured the open circuit voltage.

Depending on what exactly the problem is with the port panel it is totally possible that the whole system is pulled down.

I'm pretty sure the problem is the panel not the MPPT.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mattplowman avatar image mattplowman commented ·
Thank you, it is definitely not the MPPT but I am struggling to find the issue.
0 Likes 0 ·
regman54 avatar image
regman54 answered ·

To diagnose a possible faulty panel I would (if possible) temporarily place both panels side-by-side, both facing the sun the sun in the same direction. I would then hook up just one panel to the charge controller, record the voltage, disconnect it and repeat with the second panel. The results should be very close. If they are not then I would check and test the wiring. To avoid any line voltage drop issues the length of each wire run should be the same.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MPPT product page

VictronConnect manual

PWM or MPPT

MPPT calculator

MPPT codes