question

corkery avatar image
corkery asked

Chaining a Lynx 1000 and a bms on ve.can to a Color GX ve.can port

I currently have a Lynx 1000 connected via ve.can to a CCGX controller/monitor which works well. I want to add an LFP battery with a victron compatible bms can port. Is it possible to chain the battery bms.can with the lynx 1000 ve.can. The ccgx is remote from the battery and Lynx.

VE.Can
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Depends on what battery exactly you want to use.

From most batteries the BMS-Can is 500kbit/s and the VE.Can is 250kbit/s, so you can't connect them together.

But maybe you don't need the Lynx Shunt anymore because you can get all the information from the battery itself.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

corkery avatar image
corkery answered ·

Thanks Matthias, available information on these sub-protocols and how to integrate is limited, confusing or just wrong. I trust your information. By the way is there a definitive single document from Victron that explicitly describes each .can.

1 comment
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

Maybe you can find some informations here:

https://www.victronenergy.com/support-and-downloads/technical-information

As far as I know VE.Can is based on NMEA 2000 and BMS-Can is something different.

0 Likes 0 ·
corkery avatar image
corkery answered ·

I think the answer I was looking for is covered in section 4.5 of the CCGX manual

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/CCGX/en/connecting-victron-products.html#UUID-86f0c9ce-19b8-9f83-6745-de4b950fc268

This is the only place I have found it explicitly stated that the ve.can interface can be set to 500kbit/s so that it can be used as a bms CAN interface.

Thanks again for your help

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic