question

mbad avatar image
mbad asked

Multiplus 48/5000 howling noise when fan starts

I replaced my 48/3000 with a 48/5000 recently.

The new 48/5000 makes a howling noise once the fan starts.

I have the feeling the chassis acts as a kind of pipe/flute. If I press my finger against the chassis the noise stops. If I e.g. press some plastic stuff (2cm x 2cm) against the chassis it stops as well.

The MP is mounted on the normal installation kit on a stone wall. Also the two bottom screws have been used to fix it completely.

To be honest the howling noise is sometimes really getting on my nerves.

Any similar experience? Any solution?

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
mbad avatar image
mbad answered ·

No one with a similar experience?

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Hi @mbad can you make a video of it? that might make it easier to analyse.

0 Likes 0 ·
mbad avatar image mbad Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

@Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) here's the video:

https://www.amazon.de/photos/share/4Ph9wQfRhCrgGChvqpRKnkTLz13U7T1y3jcNtmvpiNH

It's not as loud as in reality. Hard to record. The inverter is in the garage. You can hear the holy noise on higher loads 3 m away from the garage when the door is closed.

When I push something against the chassis it stops.

0 Likes 0 ·
mbad avatar image
mbad answered ·

Just to add: After roughly 2 months it seems the fan has found it's "mood". So the noise started to disappear now. Strange.

2 |3000

menm avatar image
menm answered ·

I have the same problem and also in the beginning the transformer(50Hz) could be heard all over the building (Multiplus II 5000/48 mounted in a concrete barn,adjacent to our house). The 50Hz problem is now fixed by placing vibration dampers between the wall plate and concrete wall, including the two positions at the bottom. Unfortunately there is still the howling noise. Strange though is that when the fan is at higher RPM the howling noise disappears and there is normal 'fan noise'. The howling noise is especially there when the fan is at low speed and the load is changing a little. Then it looks like a hyena which drives the whole family crazy.

Hope there is a solution.

2 |3000