question

richard-1 avatar image
richard-1 asked

BYD EV using V2L to send power to the generator port on Multiplus 48/5000/70

Some people seem to be doing this successfully using standard equipment. But when I connect my BYD V2L box via 10A extension chord to the generator port of my Victron system, my V2L box trips out. I have tried reducing the AC current input to 6A with no luck. I have tested to V2L output from the car using a 240v appliance and it works. Some have suggested that I should remove the earth wire from my extension cable because the Victron generator port has earth connected to neutral and this could be causing a conflict. Others have said that their standard equipment worked well from the first time they used it. My feeling is that there is a parameter on my Multiplus that needs setting to allow me to achieve what I am after. But then why does my generator work successfully using the same extension cable (correctly earthed).

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @richard-1

The Multi does indeed have a neutral-earth link, which I think is selected by default. But you can disable that, it's just an untick of the Ground Relay box in VEconfigure. Hopefully the cure is that simple..

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

richard-1 avatar image richard-1 commented ·
Thanks John. Looks very plausible. Will let this thread know how it goes.
0 Likes 0 ·
paul-b avatar image paul-b richard-1 commented ·
Did you manage to get this working as I'm having the same problem trying to connect an MG4 to the AC-IN 1 of a Quattro 48/10000. I've tried every possible combinbation of settings in VEConfigure but with no joy and I get a brief 'Out of Phase' message on the VE.Bus Monitor when trying to switch to the cars output.

Output is 222V, 50.1Hz.

0 Likes 0 ·
richard-1 avatar image
richard-1 answered ·

I told my solar/battery installer about the advice from JohnC. He agrees but is reluctant to make the change on my system (untick the Ground Relay box in VEconfigure.) until he understands more about potential consequences. I'll keep this forum posted of any developments.

In the interim, i removed the earth wire from my 15A ext. cable and tried that with the V2L. My home battery was almost full at the time. It worked. I watched as the car began delivering 1800w to the generator socket quite happily. I didn't leave it running for long (as the battery was full). But when I tried to do it again when the battery was down a bit, I got the initial problem i.e. the V2L box trips out. I can only guess that the Victron couldn't handle the smarts in the V2L unit when it came to supplying both the battery and the house AC supply concurrently. Perhaps when it worked briefly before, there was no draw from the battery or the house at the time. Needs more experimentation.

For those with the know-how, I understand that the V2L is a 'protected supply' which can interfere with the inverter's household safety circuits (RCD). Is there a safe way to configure the inverter to handle the V2L protected supply? Perhaps disabling Ground Relay is OK? Not sure.

2 |3000

poplargrove avatar image
poplargrove answered ·

We have successfully installed a Victron battery charger and use V2L to charge the battery (ie not linked to house or inverter so no earthing issues). It works so we how have a giant battery in the form or a car! We plan to trickle charge overnight on grey days so we start the day at 100% or close to it

2 |3000

josecokem avatar image
josecokem answered ·

V2L is in more cars, is amazing you can do that with the victron. Is possible to do the same but using the victron car charger? Or you need to plug it directly to the multiplus II? Is possible to use the car just to cover some of the loads of the house dinamically instead of charging the batteries of the victron system? possibilities are amazing, I expect Victron people could make us a vechicle charger or a way to add this car features to our home !!!

2 |3000