question

tewkes avatar image
tewkes asked

Peugeot Boxer - Wiring set up

Hi,

I am brand new here, after reading lots of different articles about wiring set up, i thought it was easier to ask for a straight answer to suit my needs as there are various ways to set campers up.

I am purchasing a Peugeot Boxer, 2020 plate which i intend to convert and use.

Ideally, 12v everything with solar and a 200aH battery would be perfect for me to set up, but knowing my mrs and my coffee habits, she needs straighteners and id need a coffee machine connected, so im guessing im gonna have to fit an invertor.

So here is where my questions start:

What is the best set up to suit my needs above? More than happy to buy decent batteries and Victron units.

Few things worth mentioning, 230v socket outside, solar panels, off grid also for upto 5 days approx, be able to use a coffee machine whilst not on hook up.

Thank you

smart solar set-up help
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
theo74 avatar image
theo74 answered ·

As the coffee machine seems to be the leading factor in your RV, start with it's power specifications.

You need to know what power at 230VAC the coffee machine will need, and search for a suitbale inverter which is capable of delivering.

In this case, you can start with a Victron Multiplus charger/inverter, for example the 12/2000/80 which does 1600W continuous at 230VAC, and also can act as a 80A charger when plugged in to the grid.

The best 2023 option for a 200Ah domestic battery would be a LiFePO4 (LFP) battery. In this case a Victron battery is not mandatory, and to expensive. There are enough brands to choose from which are good and reliable. Just don't order any battery direct from China, choose a brand with support and garanty.

For the rest I advise to take a look at Explorist Life YouTube channel, for a lot of beginners info.

And next to this, take a look at the differend scheme's Victron is providing at all of thier equipment.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·
Lord, please don't advise people to look at Will Prowse for examples, a solid 20% of my job in technical support is correcting people who tried to follow his enthusiastic but grossly misinformed practices
1 Like 1 ·
theo74 avatar image theo74 Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

I don't think all what Will Prowse is publishing on his channel is bad, but in this case I understand your reaction, so I changed it to the channel of Explorist Life @kevgermany advised.

Indeed this channel is more organised and better to understand for a lot of newbees.

2 Likes 2 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·
@Theo74

Explorist Life is much better.

1 Like 1 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

What would make life easier for you is an EasySolar unit. It has a Multiplus as recommended by @Theo74 and the MPPT for solar built in and wired. The bigger ones have a built in GX device which gives integrated control of the battery charging and also remote monitoring/reporting, but needs an internet connection for the remote functionality.

2 comments
2 |3000

tewkes avatar image tewkes commented ·
Thanks for this. Only now reading this.

This looks like a good idea, less wiring and less components to use. How would i get internet to the unit constantly? Im guessing it needs it to use the smart bluetooth side of the set up?

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ tewkes commented ·

Internet. Victron have a unit, Globallink 520, includes a 5 year sim. Or go for a data SIM and mobile router, like the nighthawk.

With anything like this you're at the mercy of the local signal. I've a Huawei in my van, doesn't have an external aerial, big issue. For the boat I bought a high gain external aerial.

0 Likes 0 ·
tewkes avatar image
tewkes answered ·

This is what i have put in my basket so far, i have picked a GEL AGM battery over a lithium, as its less than a third of the price and more ah. Is there anything else i need? I know i need to add solar panels.1698234134253.png

1698234134253.png (124.0 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

ponzoa avatar image ponzoa commented ·
The AGM may have more Ah but you can only use half of them. Lithium will let you use all of them and is cheaper pr KWH you get out of them than any other battery available.

If you use the 12/1600 inverter, not this will provide 1600VA not KW. Divide by 0.8 for the KW. I would suggest going at least one size above what you need as your energy demands will definately grow. extra lights, a warmer, chargers for phones and laptops, etc.

If you want to be 5 days off grid/disconnected, you may want to look into having your alternator be able to charge your service battery and have your solar and service battery charge your engine battery if needed. There are several ways to safely do this but make sure you get advice to avoid blowing you alternator up or damaging your batteries.

Good luck with the project!

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Looks like you're missing a GX device. Look at the Cerbo-s or Ekrano.
0 Likes 0 ·
luphi avatar image
luphi answered ·

Keep in mind, that LFP (LiFePO4) cells usually have a constant charge/discharge rate of 0.5C.

Means, that if your inverter is able to deliver 1600W, your battery should have 320Ah@12V.

(Dividing the required power by 5 gives you the required Ah of your battery)

This is just a rule of thumb. LFPs can go higher than 0.5C but only at cost of lifetime.

2 |3000

tewkes avatar image
tewkes answered ·

Thanks for this, lots of information overload but appreciate it. I need to keep reading to get my head around the wattage, Ah, KW etc.

I dont think i will be fitting an inverter now and will be running everything 12v, a coffee machine isnt worth all that hassle.

What is the Cerbo-s or Ekrano for?

Does my suggested set up above (minus inverter) apply if i want everything 12v? with a 230v plug for hook up if needing?

3 comments
2 |3000

Coffee. Use a Bialetti on the gas ring. Works well for me.
0 Likes 0 ·
Cerbo/Ekrano. Aka GX devices. Integrated control of charging, integrated reporting of all parts of the system, integrated configuration, free VRM account for remote access/control/reporting. Ekrano has built in screen, Cerbo has optional screen (or use your phone), Cerbo-s is a less powerful version for smaller systems.
0 Likes 0 ·
tewkes avatar image tewkes kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
:O
0 Likes 0 ·
theo74 avatar image
theo74 answered ·

The mandatory coffee machine which you started with, doesn't seem to be that importand at the end. No problem at all, and you can always upgrade your electrical system later.

When you only go for the 12VDC setup, a MPPT, Orion, and suitable battery can be enough. For charging USB devices you can always buy 12VDC powered (and resessed) USB chargers.

In this 12VDC setup you can only charge the battery via solar with sun, and via the alternator when driving. Feeding 230VAC outlets will only be possible when hooked up to the grid, and even then the battery will not be charged, because you don't have a 230VAC/12VDC charger, or charger/inverter yet.

Second future step could be the charger/inverter then. To have 230VAC when off-grid. In this case you need to balance the charger/inverter to the maximum capacity of the battery. Or even better, balance the battery to the desired charger/inverter. When you want enough power to feed your coffee machine as yet, you need a suitble charger/inverter with enough power, and a big enough (LFP) battery to supply the inverter's 12VDC power input. Like I mentioned in my first reply.

2 comments
2 |3000

tewkes avatar image tewkes commented ·
Thanks Theo.

So a hook up when at a site, wont charge the battery unless i get a specific type of split charger, correct? If i added that to the above, does that give me everything i need to run 12v off grid and then have a 230v socket whilst at a camp site & charge my battery the same time?

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ tewkes commented ·
Multiplus range does. But now you're on AC, get professional help with the install. And assuming you're going places in Europe look at how to correct for live and neutral being swopped at some sites.
0 Likes 0 ·
theo74 avatar image
theo74 answered ·

If you install a 12VDC battery charger, then the battery will be charged when hooked up. And the 230V outlets will get power from the shore power too. Limited to the fuse of the shore power.

If you install a charger/inverter, your will have the same situation as mentioned above. But then you can power your 230V outlets when off-grid also, with the battery feeding the charger/inverter.

With a Victron charger/inverter you have the advantage that when you are hooked up, the charger/inverter will charge the battery with a bigger charge current than an average charger. Plus when using 230V, the Victron charger/inverter can add/mix extra 230V power to the limited shore power, giving more power at the 230V outlets than with shore power only.

When you would choose for a charger/inverter, then your battery needs to be big enough to feed the inverter. The bigger the inverter, the more current your battery must be able to supply.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic