question

manuele avatar image
manuele asked

How to connect multiple MPPTs to the Multiplus-II GX.

Good evening everyone,

I have a Multiplus-II GX I should now connect the second MPPT RS 450/100.

But the VE.CAN port on the MultiplusII-GX is occupied by the cable that goes to the battery's BMS.

In your experience, can I connect everything correctly even without having to buy an external CERBO GX?

Maybe I can use two VE.Direct to USB adapters but can I do it passively or do I have to power the Hub?

Thanks in advance

Manuele

connection issue
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Manuele

A powered usb hub will do. With ve direct to usb cables.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mjs500 avatar image
mjs500 answered ·

one ve direct to usb cables. and one ve direct to ve direct cable or is port being used

or daisy chain Ve bus between units

2 |3000

manuele avatar image
manuele answered ·

So, would it be possible to use two different cables, one ve.direct/ve.direct to connect the first MPPT and the other ve.direct/Usb to connect the second MPPT to the MPII-GX?

While I didn't understand the use of the daisy chain Ve bus between units

4 comments
2 |3000

gazza avatar image gazza commented ·

Yes it is possible to use one VE.direct/VE.direct cable and one VE.direct/usb, OR... it is also possible to use 2x VE.direct/usb cables with a hub. (with extra VE.Can sockets available the "daisy" chain is possible but as you say the VE.Can is taken up on the Multi GX by the BMS)

0 Likes 0 ·
manuele avatar image manuele gazza commented ·

Thank you very much, that's absolutely right.

Since the VE.CAN is used to communicate at 500K/Bits with the BMS of the various battery packs and there is nothing else that can communicate at 500K/Bits (Mppt, shunt, energy meter and so on) on the same daisy chain.

Correct?

0 Likes 0 ·
gazza avatar image gazza manuele commented ·

Yes that is correct.

(one advantage of the Cerbo GX is the "dedicated" BMS Can and separate VE Can sockets. So, with a Cerbo and standard Multiplus-II (non GX), it would be possible to use the VE Can daisy chain of your MPPTs)

1 Like 1 ·
manuele avatar image manuele gazza commented ·

It was my lack of information initially at the time of purchase. The MPII-GX seemed like a cleaner solution in terms of cables.

0 Likes 0 ·
mjs500 avatar image
mjs500 answered ·

While I didn't understand the use of the daisy chain Ve bus between units for get this as both the ve bus port linked and not separated ports and you have programmed them to can 500 kb and not ve bus

Yes it is possible to use one VE.direct/VE.direct cable and one VE.direct/usb, OR... it is also possible to use isolated 4 port usb to ttl uart ftdi VE.direct cable

2 |3000

1234enough avatar image
1234enough answered ·

If it helps there is another ve direct port internally which can be used, I have this connected to a MPPT.37125-img-20220730-165018.jpg

2 comments
2 |3000

manuele avatar image manuele commented ·

Wow this is great news,

but does this photo show the inside of the MultiplusII-GX 5000?

I thank all of you for your comprehensive answers!

Ciao

Manuele

0 Likes 0 ·
1234enough avatar image 1234enough manuele commented ·

Yes it is inside 5000/48 GX ii

0 Likes 0 ·
mjs500 avatar image
mjs500 answered ·

So Easy Solar-II GX with 250/100 mppt removed = MultiplusII-GX will have to remember this one i.e. Ve direct port in side !

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic