question

freddiezeebo avatar image
freddiezeebo asked

Power Assist from Grid

Hi. I'm running a Multiplus II 5000 48V. I'm charging the batteries at night via charge schedule and using them during the day. Is it possible for the MP to suppliment the battery for the power assist feature using grid power rather than battery supplementing battery power?

In other words, if I'm on the battery only and my power demand exceeds the inverter's max output can the MP use grid power to give me the extra power needed?

Multiplus-IIESSpowerassist
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
sharpener avatar image
sharpener answered ·

If you use/are using the ESS assistant then this will happen automatically up to the pass-through limit of 50 amps.

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

freddiezeebo avatar image freddiezeebo commented ·
I've tested it and the inverter went into overload. Where is the option for it in the menu?
0 Likes 0 ·
Alex Leo avatar image Alex Leo freddiezeebo commented ·
This means your load is bigger than the 4000w limit of the inverter.The option is not in the menu,it is in config file.You need to check it in Veconfig.Normal way of Power Assist is for example you have limited grid supply,and you assist with the battery.It does work the other way also.But keep within 4000w,otherwise inverter will go into overload.
0 Likes 0 ·
freddiezeebo avatar image freddiezeebo Alex Leo commented ·
Hi Alex. I've it turned on in VE configure. I was hoping for the grid power to boost the inverter if my demand exceeded the 4000w limit.
0 Likes 0 ·
Alex Leo avatar image Alex Leo freddiezeebo commented ·

Normally,like I said,it is working the other way.If your grid is limited the Inverter will help the grid by assisting in parallel with the grid.For example if your grid connection is limited at 10 amps and you need 20,the inverter will help with another 10.

But you need to understand the MP II limit is 4000W.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alex Leo avatar image Alex Leo Alex Leo commented ·
How big is your load ?
0 Likes 0 ·
gazza avatar image
gazza answered ·

What @sharpener said was correct to begin with! Do you have the ESS assistant loaded? If so.. then Power assist should be "unticked" (disabled) in VEconfigure. With the ESS assistant loaded the grid power (on AC IN) will automatically supplement the loads up to the limit of the transfer relay, 50A.

2 |3000

sharpener avatar image
sharpener answered ·

If it were not so then I could not at the same time use the cooker, EV charger, washing m/c, tumble dryer, kettle...

But I can, that's why I chose the 5kW Multi to begin with. This is IMO the smallest usable size for a whole-house system. The 50A limit is not in practice a significant restriction.

2 |3000