question

jeffu avatar image
jeffu asked

Main DC cables

Why are the Easy Solar PV input connectors MC4? I want to use a correctly sized multi-core copper cables to connect to the combiner box 40m away rather than multiple MC cables. A multi-core cable installation is cheaper and better.

dc system
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

The emphasis is on the word Easy.

I think you will find that it's quite simple to bypass the MC4 connectors and connect direct to the MPPT inside. But be aware this may void your warranty, so check with your dealer first, maybe they'll do the work for you.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

What hold you up, buying a pair of MC4 connectors for 3€ and use it with your cable??

2 |3000

Craig Chamberlain avatar image
Craig Chamberlain answered ·

I use a 4 core, 10mm2 SWA armoured cable to bring my PV feeds from my garage where my PV panels are installed to my house where the inverter and MPPTs are location. I simply run the SWA cable into a plastic junction box using a proper SWA gland, and then I split out the 4 cores and run these through individual conduits to each MPPT. In my case I'm not using MC4 connectors and I have separate MPPTs and inverter rather than an EasySolar, but I could very easily have attached MC4 connectors if I had needed to.

On the garage end of my SWA cable, I have another junction box and this time I join the 4 cores of the SWA cable to MC4 connectors which are mounted along the top side of the junction box and into which my string cables plug in.

Just take care to select a method of joining that will work with fine strand solar cable as well as multi-strand SWA cable. Use ferrules if necessary.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic