question

hogghead avatar image
hogghead asked

Volts read 11.85. Percent reads 90%

Hi. I run two 12 volt battery’s in parallel. With my Victron smart shunt. In my travel trailer running a few led lights and a furnace that’s it

After a half day my volts read 11.85 and my percentage reads 90%

Online. It says a 11.85 volts would almost have no battery life left.

So is the volt reading incorrect? Or my % reading incorrect?

voltage
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

Wrong installation of the shunt? (very common problem)

Wrong settings of the shunt?

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
regman54 avatar image
regman54 answered ·

I have a similar setup on my travel trailer. Compared to the LED lights the furnace will draw significantly most power than the lights. If you are taking a voltage reading when the furnace is running, or a short time after it stops, yes it will show a lower voltage compared to it's normal fully charged resting voltage or normal SoC (State of Charge). Similarly the batteries will show a higher than normal resting voltage if taken during or after charging. Either one of those scenarios are normal and nothing to be concerned about.

To get a proper volt reading fully charge the batteries while disconnected from the trailer with nothing else connected to them like the shunt and let them rest for a few hours or better yet over night. Then using a good voltage meter take a reading. Whatever that reading is will be your base line for comparison with the shunt. Re-connect the shunt. A few millivolt difference between the shunt and your volt meter is nothing to be concerned about.

As mentioned above read the shunt manual carefully.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic