question

andreholgersson avatar image
andreholgersson asked

To charge, or not to charge?

Boat: Just before the wintering season, I installed a new set of main bank batteries. I use the inputs of the Cerbo GX to get notified if magnetic contacts are tripped on doors or hatches as a burglar alarm. The batteries are getting their charge from a Multiplus 12/35/800.

As main power is pretty rock solid at the winter storage location, would it be possible to disconnect and spare the new batteries from constant charge/discharge by only use the multiplus in some kind of power source mode, just to power the Cerbo GX?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

No you can not use the Multiplus as a power pack it needs to be connected to a battery.

When I overwinter my boat I leave it on shorepower with my Multiplus on and this goes into storage mode at 13.2V, lower than normal float keeping batteries full but not overcharged.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

regman54 avatar image
regman54 answered ·

I guess it would depend on the batteries you have. Similar to yourself my travel trailer was put into winter storage in late Sept and will not be used again until early May. The battery manufacturer recommends the batteries be stored near room temp and fully charged. So I removed the batteries and keep them charged indoors at the specified voltage (13.6V). I'm using a Blue Smart Charger so I can keep an eye on them via the SmartConnect app. Perhaps your battery manufacturer can provide some insight as to how they should be stored.

2 |3000