question

cardy01 avatar image
cardy01 asked

MultiPlus 12 1200 50 Start Battery Connection

I'm about to "take the plunge" and disconnect my mains charger from my start battery in favour of connecting the Start Battery + terminal to trickle charge.

Question:

Does the Start Battery + connection show up anywhere in Victron Connect / VRM / elsewhere?

If not is a SmartShunt on the start battery a useful source of information?

starter battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

You don't say what equipment you have. But mo, this won't show.

A smart shunt has to go in the battery negative cable. It will give state of charge, battery voltage and current. Probably pointless. Be careful to get one that can handle your starter current if you do decide to get one.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

cardy01 avatar image cardy01 commented ·

"You don't say what equipment you have. "

Currently the start battery is charged by a Victron Mains charger connected to the output of the inverter (via the usual 230v wiring).

When plugged in to the shore this is no real issue .... but when AC Ignore is active the 12v house battery or the SmartSolar feed the inverter which then trickle charges the start battery which seems inefficient ( 12v to 230v to 12v ) even at the low power levels involved.

But thanks the fact that it doesn't appear anywhere answers my question.

0 Likes 0 ·
cardy01 avatar image
cardy01 answered ·

@kevgermany supplemental question if you don't mind ... you say the SmartShunt would be "probably pointless" but if the trickle charge output is "at a lower voltage" but we don't know what and is current limited the SOC of the battery might be useful no? Rather than the Starter Battery + connection might I be better using the Load Output of my MPPT and setting that to the starter battery float voltage? That would show in VRM. I have a redundant SmartShunt so the only effort to use it is to connect between the boat negative common point and the battery ..... and to run a VE Direct cable of course ;-)

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic