question

sundance avatar image
sundance asked

BMV 712 current vs MPPT

I recently had a BMV-712 installed along with some solar panels and a Victron MPPT. I wanted to check with folks more knowledgeable than me to see if the output I’m getting that’s delivered to the batteries is normal.

I understand that the shunt current reading is net of charge and loads. If I turn off all loads there seems to be a significant difference in the current shown from the MPPT vs the shunt.

For example today Solar is bringing in 18.8A while the shunt shows 14.3A.The parasitic draw tends to be about 0.5A so the discrepancy would be about 4A.

I’m charging a 480Ah Victron AGM house bank and have a Cyrix combiner to maintain one AGM start battery. The start battery is full but should be getting a float charge so that should account for a small amount of the discrepancy correct?

BMV Battery MonitorMPPT SmartSolar
img-5023.png (10.3 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
sundance avatar image
sundance answered ·

And the shunt readout

img-5024.png

img-5024.png (271.9 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.