question

jbroo avatar image
jbroo asked

MultiPlus 12|1200|50 not turning on, not charging, nothing

Hi, I'm new here. I just got a Victron MultiPlus 12|1200|50 and and having a very strange issue with it.

It basically will not turn on. I have it connected to a 12v 100Ah LiFePO4 battery. I set the inverter for LiFePo4 batteries via the dip switches ( dip 2 on, store settings by cycling dip 6). When turning on the inverter to either "on" (inverter mode) or "charge", it literally does nothing. No LEDs come on. When turning it off, I get one brief flash of the orange "charge" LED. Nothing else. It's not charging the battery, not responding to AC mains, and not putting out AC. The battery is new and is showing 13.28V on a multimeter.

I've tried reverting the unit to default (all dips off), leaving it off of DC, mains, etc. Nothing changes. I've also tried a smaller lead-acid battery on DC in case that was an issue. I've checked the 200A DC fuse in the device and that is also OK.

I'm now at my wits' end! I don't know what is wrong and no combination of anything I've tried has had any effect.

I must note that when I first plugged on the battery (just to test), the inverter was on the default battery setting, and the green inverter LED came on. I then turned off the device and changed to LiFePO4 mode via the dipswitches and I think that is where my problem started. Also, the device still flashes all LEDs 4 times when storing settings, so it appears to be responding, just not turning on.

If anyone is able to guide me in the right direction, that would be GREATLY appreciated.

Video of the problem is below.

WhatsApp Image 2023-05-19 at 16.51.14.jpegWhatsApp Image 2023-05-19 at 16.52.26.jpegWhatsApp Video 2023-05-19 at 17.09.34.mp4

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
invisiblecities3 avatar image
invisiblecities3 answered ·

I'm having similar problems with my MultiPlus 2000, see my post from earlier today!

What I've found in my case is the Cat6 cable going to my Smart Dongle is somehow killing everything.

When I took it back to bone simple, just the Multiplus, 120VAC feed, and it exclusively connected to one battery, with nothing else connected to either it or to that battery, all butterflies and unicorns, everything worked a treat.

I kept adding back stuff, and all was well until I added the Smart Dongle, at which point, my MultiPlus shut down. I unplugged the Cat6 cable connecting the Smart Dongle to the MultiPlus, and started it all up. Once again, rainbows and unicorns, all good.

Maybe take yours back to bone simple? Looks like maybe you have the battery temperature sensor in the mix? Maybe remove that, so it's just 120VAC feed, battery feed, and nothing else? If that works, just start adding back in all the cool stuff you wouod like to get working until you discover what's killing it for you?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jbroo avatar image
jbroo answered ·

Thanks for answering!

I don't have a smart dongle. I've never connected to the unit in any way. All I did was use the dip switches for settings. I have tried to go as simple as possible - just DC battery, no load, no AC in/out. I've also tried just AC in and battery, and various othe combinations to no avail.

I'm on 230v AC, but I doubt that matters, this model is for 230v.

2 |3000

Anold Pande avatar image
Anold Pande answered ·

Hi Jbroo hope i find you well. You might be experiencing hardware problems , possibly your switch is now faulty..

1 comment
2 |3000

jbroo avatar image jbroo commented ·
Well, if that is the case, that is very surprising - the unit is brand new and this was the first time it was connected. Surely Victron make better quality products? It's not like I have physically damaged the switch...

I've seen a few other people mention this behaviour on the forum, but nobody seems to know the cause.

I will try to make contact with the dealer tomorrow.

0 Likes 0 ·
jbroo avatar image
jbroo answered ·

I've decided to return the unit. I'd rather buy a different brand. Pretty disappointing from Victron.

2 |3000

mattsnow avatar image
mattsnow answered ·

Hi, just wanted to add I have the exact same issues on two of these units now. I have nothing else connected apart from the 12V leads so don't know how to troubleshoot this any further.

I've already returned one unit so really disappointing that a second unit is showing the same symptoms after powering a lamp for two minutes...

My thread:

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/219545/no-output-from-multiplus-and-only-a-brief-flickeri.html

6 comments
2 |3000

jbroo avatar image jbroo commented ·
I returned mine to the dealer, only to be blamed for the issue and be asked the most basic of questions. I was told to make sure to power it up with a load on, check my wiring, and so on.

Apparently they got it working again but did not disclose how. I suspect there is a firmware bug affecting these units as I recall another thread on this forum mentioning a firmware bug on the 1200 resolved with an upgrade.

Nonetheless, I won't be using the unit after this experience and have sold it.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvas avatar image mvas jbroo commented ·
If it was a Firmware BUG then Victron should contact every MultiPlus customer and also highlight the solution on this forum.
0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ mvas commented ·

How should that work (contacting all customer)?
Victron doesn't even know who bought the devices because Victron doesn't sell to private endusers, they only sell distributors which are selling to endusers.

I work for one of the biggest distributor in Germany and I have very good connections to the Victron developers and I don't know of any serious problems with the small MultiPlus.

The FW changelog can be found at Victron Professional:

https://professional.victronenergy.com/

0 Likes 0 ·
mvas avatar image mvas Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

Notify your dealer network, to contact every applicable end-user.

Is that difficult?

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ mvas commented ·

No that's not difficult and Victron always does that if needed and that's why I know that there is no big problem with the small MP.

But it's still almost impossible to contact all users because you sometimes don't have an e-mail address or phone number.
Even if you have, it would take days or weeks to contact all if you sell hundreds of units.

And most users don't have any problems so you would waist a lot of time doing that.

So it's just easier to let the few customers with a problem contact you instead of contacting hundreds for nothing.

A forum like this always can make a wrong impression that there has to be a HUGH problem just because 2 or 3 users have a problem and asking here.

But you read nothing from all the hundreds or thousands happy users.

So stay calm and don't overreact because of a few maybe(!!) defective units.

3 Likes 3 ·
mattsnow avatar image mattsnow jbroo commented ·
Thanks so much for the reply, I've just opened a ticket with Victron / the dealer so I am about to walk down the same road. The other couple of posts and my purchases are all around May - June 2023 so I wonder if something did go wrong with a batch at that time. Such a shame as I was hoping this would be bombproof!
0 Likes 0 ·
makoi avatar image
makoi answered ·

I have this exact same fault. Did anyone ever answer how to resolve it please.

Connected the system fir the first time today. I’m gutted

2 |3000