question

bartholdl avatar image
bartholdl asked

Quattro maximum continuous output power is actually only for 30 minutes?

Hi,

The spec sheet for the 48/15000/200 Quattro says "Cont. output power at 25C" is 15000VA. I interpret that as the inverter can supply 15000VA continuous, forever. However, Johannes clearly states in this video

https://youtu.be/4SXtGIx0x5w?t=559

That the 15000 rating (in this case) is what the inverter can handle for 30 minutes. So really not continuous at all. That is a huge difference! So if Johannes is right (and he is), what is the max power that I can continuously draw?

Thanks!

Barthold

continuous-inverter-power.pnginverter-overload.png

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@bartholdl

It can do the 15kva all day if kept cool (at 25°C internally) . In most set ups it will begin to derate and get a temperature shutdown in 30 minutes. Just physics here.

Speaking from experience it is possible to do but takes a lot and I mean alot of air flow and cooling to dissipate the heat from that kind of power production.

If you need to run a large load continuously factor in heat and derating always. That's just good engineering.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bartholdl avatar image
bartholdl answered ·

Thank you Alexandra! Does this mean that, if I keep the room temperature at or below 25C, the internal fan of the Quattro cannot keep the device cool enough if running at that 15000VA? Or can it keep up as long as the room stays cool (I understand cooling the room has its own challenges).

Thanks!

1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Not room temp. But internal inverter temps is the key.

You will find the inverter temperature will rise way above 25°C in a 25°C room.

So 15°C is closer to what you will want to aim at as @Michelle Konzack mentioned. Use fans to move the hot air away from the top of the inverter. Don't run a negative pressure air system though. Obviously the difficulty is dependent on your ambient temps are.

Don't forget that batteries mppts wiring etc also give out heat.

Probably easier if your load needs are that high continuously to run a bigger system in an air con room. So 2 x10kva or 2x15kva. If the air con ever goes down, the whole system is down so if it is critical then don't cut it fine.

0 Likes 0 ·
Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

I would say, IF you can keep the room at 15°C and add additional ventilators near the air inlet of the Quattro, it would probably work.

With an air onlet of 15°C the inverter can maintain this continius load.

2 |3000

h2009 avatar image
h2009 answered ·

I would like to add in here. Has anyone 3D designed an add on for the MP2 or Quattros to mount larger fans to get better air flow?

2 |3000