question

glid avatar image
glid asked

AC out connection in parallel

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to upgrade my PV system (9.6kwc supplied by APS inverters) for a battery storage system.

I'd like to add a Multiplus 2 with Pylontech batteries.

My question is : Do I absolutely have to connect the AC out in a parallel installation or any energy transfer can be done by the AC in. I mean AC out is used for back up? So in charge mode energy comes from AC in (from PV array actually) to battery, and in inverter mode energy comes from battery to AC in ?

Thank you for yours answers

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 answered ·

Hi @glid

If you're asking can you have loads/AC coupled PV on ACIN (grid) side of multiplus then yes. However you need to have an energy meter on incoming grid supply. And also a energy meter on AC coupled PV assuming there's not integration supported within victron system natively.

You AC Coupled PV will need a grid connection to work though. So you still need grid on ACIN you cant just have AC coupled PV on it's own otherwise it wont turn on. On ACOUT1 side victron can make it's own microgrid therefore it can turn on on the AC OUT1 side.

Note if you put inverter on ACOUT1 you need to adhere to Factor of one rule.

Here's some useful links/diagrams that might help spot a setup you're looking for:

ESS Quick Installation Guide [Victron Energy]

Factor of 1 rule:AC-coupling and the Factor 1.0 rule [Victron Energy]

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

chrichri avatar image
chrichri answered ·

As soon as there is AC on AC in and the inverter is in "on" mode, the pass trough is active and energy from battery goes via inverter in both directions (AC in and ACout as they are shorten by a relais). The question is, do you want to ensure an off grid system at the same time? If not, it is simple. You put the external current sensor at the very beginning on line from grid. Then the PV inverters, then the Multiplus on ACin and the loads. "Off grid secured" loads (those that should be supplied in any case) can be connected to AC out)

Operating:

The inverter will take a maximum current (to be set) from grid. If more power is drawn by the loads, no problem, the Multiplus with power assist function will provide the rest of needed energy.

The only problem I see: In some cases you would need an anti islanding protection module.

To avoid this I set the Multiplus to mode (never feed any energy to the grid) or named somehow similar...

Then all is fine.

2 |3000

glid avatar image
glid answered ·

Thank you for your answer

Yes, grid is connected to AC in (and inverters too)

Actually question is even more simple, I don't want to connect anything on AC out (Inverter nor microgrid), does this work ?

1 comment
2 |3000

matt1309 avatar image matt1309 commented ·
Yes you can wire just loads only on ACIN side of inverter. And have nothing on ACOUT side.
0 Likes 0 ·
glid avatar image
glid answered ·

Responding to chrichri :

how does multiplus know current taken from the grid (cause it won't goes through) ? And therefore how does it "power assist" rest of the energy needed ?

Does it exist energy meters plugged to multiplus to inform it ?

2 |3000

chrichri avatar image
chrichri answered ·

Hi, yes, sure, you need to add the external current sensor. you can buy this from Victron sellers. Its a blue coil sensor that you just clip around the phase (L) cable. You can then set in the general settings under AC input current limit the maximal current you allow to draw from grid. You need as well to check the box Ecternal current sensor. The rest of power will be supplied by the multiplus in Power assist. If you have the PV connected to the multiplus and loads, I think the Power assist current factor in the inverter menu should be not more than 1. This you have to read in the manual. All this as long as you do not supply energy into grid. If you would like so, the story is completely different.

2 |3000