question

Trung avatar image
Trung asked

Multiplus 2 not charging??

Hi All..

I wondered if anyone out there has come across this problem or if there are any experts out there who is able to assist?

Thank you for any comments you may have...much appreciated!!

Trung

Setup:

MP2 5KVA, JK BMS, 12KWh Lifepo4. MPPT-100/35. No assistants in use. Not grid-tied. AC Mains in from grid.

Issue:

-MP2 running fine for last 12 months. MP2 was stopped (a few days ago) by myself during a charge cycle since I did not need the batteries to be "full" as it is sunny the following day. Thereafter unable to get the charger to work or charge??

-JK BMS is fine - accepts charge from MPPT to batteries - so that's in working order - no probs there.

-When grid power is turned on, the relays would go through the switching process but AC is not converted to DC and no charge to batteries - no humming noise.

-When selected II on main rocker switch - same as above - relays would switch but AC power does not go through.

-MP Inverter is working OK - no probs - so DC to AC is fine.

Checks/activities done so far:

-Checked fuses, breakers and cable coming into/out MP2 - all fine. (as you can see on one of the last photos - power is coming into the MP - "Mains On").

-Reset MP2 in VRM - nothing.

-Rebooted whole system (unplugged and plugged everything back) - nothing.

-Selected Lithium Battery option and sent through change (Charging voltage was set slightly lower than default option before) - nothing.

-Upload a previously saved programme via VE Config from when everything worked (2 months ago) - nothing.

-Have change a few other options in VE Config (voltages, Stop Excessive Bulk Charging, System Frequency) - but again, nothing.

1651510884749.png

1651511008908.png

1651511048881.png

1651511069601.png

1651511247627.png

Multiplus-II
1651510884749.png (350.1 KiB)
1651511008908.png (202.0 KiB)
1651511048881.png (351.5 KiB)
1651511069601.png (278.9 KiB)
1651511247627.png (487.5 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
gpetters avatar image
gpetters answered ·

Hello. I suddenly got similar problem. Victron multiplus II did not charge battery when connected to grid. In my case, it happened after Victron updated my VictronConnect software (as Victron somtimes do, and I always select Yes for such) with a new (at least for me) default configuration setting named "Virtual Switch Ignore AC" or "AC ignore". This setting I was not aware of. Default value is set to "AC ignore". You must connect to your device using VEconfig program. Locate the "Virtual Switch" tab. Then "Usage" tab. In my case "dedicated ignore AC input" was selected. I changed this to "Do not use VS", and saved the new setting. Voila! Battery started to charge as before. You can read more from the following Victron community .PDF:

"Virtual Switch Ignore AC - Victron Community" (you find this .PDF using google).

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

marc-andre-boulet avatar image
marc-andre-boulet answered ·

I had the same problem following the firmware update. Used the VeConfig program to check the configuration and my problem was from the battery type: The firmware changed the type of battery from lithium to nothing. I selected lithium battery type with the right specs (in this case Voltium battery) and everything back to normal.

2 |3000

netrange avatar image
netrange answered ·

Maybe because of the wrong AC Out frequency of 60hz
I always thought in England / UK is 50hz
The multi can not switch to the AC In ...

1 comment
2 |3000

Trung avatar image Trung commented ·
Hi netrange..

Many thanks for your comments - I have had it on both 50/60hz and on 60Hz for some time now (at least 2 months)...this is to get a better picture on my TV. It was charging OK on 60Hz. But, I will try again on 50Hz just to make sure.

many thanks

trung

0 Likes 0 ·
ben1962 avatar image
ben1962 answered ·

I have similar setup with a Victron MultiPlus II 3000 and the Charger stop working. I checked a bunch of thing but still at the same point.
I think I know when the problem stated. I was plugged on shore power for the night after driving all day had used the inverter fonction. In the morning I realized I didn’t switch to charger only so it was still on Inverter. At that point I did a reset but the charger never started. Any suggestions ?

1 comment
2 |3000

manuel-marinelli avatar image manuel-marinelli commented ·
Same issue here! DId you manage to find a solution?
0 Likes 0 ·
sami-kortevaara avatar image
sami-kortevaara answered ·

I had similar problem - my MultiPlus 12/3000/120-16 suddenly stopped charging from AC. Everything else worked fine.

I downloaded the configs using the https://vrm.victronenergy.com/installation/xxx and used VE configure 3 tool to view the config. It showed that my VE BMS assistant was old. I updated the assistant and uploaded the new configuration back using the online portal.

Multiplus updated and rebooted and now the charging works fine. An interesting journey three years after the original installation.

Everything went nicely and I still like Victron very much :)

2 |3000