question

matthias-nagel avatar image
matthias-nagel asked

Using a SmartSolar MPPT after an unregulated alternator/magneto: Possible?

I have an engine with an integrated, unregulated alternator and an M2 rectifier (the stator is a center-tapped inductor and the center is connected to ground). The rotor of the alternator uses permanent magnets; if I am not mistaken, the technical English term for that kind of alternator is "magneto". The output voltage of the magneto is 8-40V depending on RPM.

Is it possible to use an MPPT controller to charge a 12V battery from that alternator? How would the MPPT algorithm behave? How much "ripple" can the MPPT controller handle on its input? The "pure" output of the M2 rectifier are both sine half-waves turned to positive. Do I need an LC smoothing filter? How do I size L and C?

More details:

First of all, it is not possible to replace the magneto by another alternator. Mostly due to costs. The engine does not allow to attach an external alternator to it, and the magneto is integrated into the flywheel. Replacement of the entire engine is not going to happen.

The magneto has the following specs:

RPM (min-1) Freq. (kHz) Eff. Voltage (V)
500 1 5.5
1000 2 11
1500 3 15.5
2000 4 21
2500 5 26.5
3000 6 31
3500 7 36.5

The inaccuracy is +/-3 V. Rated nominal output power of the magneto is 350W at 14.5V with 24A. However, the engine typically runs at 2000-2500 RPM.

First, I considered using a Orion Tr DC-DC converter, but there is none which can handle the input range. Now, I am wondering whether an SmartSolar MPPT 75/15 could do the job. The level of the input voltage should be fine, given that the maximum peak voltage is (36.6Veff + 3V tolerance) * 1.414 = 57Vpeak. The SmartSolar MPPT 75/15 is rated for 220W, hence even if it operates at top power and draws as much power as it can from the magneto, it should not overload the inductor coils. (I assume.)

However, I wonder how the MPPT algorithm would behave.

Moreover, I wonder if I need to put an LC smoothing filter between the M2 rectifier and the MPPT. And if yes how I size L and C. In particulr, for a large C the inrush current from the magneto to the capcitor probably needs limiting. How do I do the math?

MPPT SmartSolaralternator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

Since you run the engine with 2000-2500RpM, hence the frequency is 4-5kHz I would simply try an Electrolyt Condensator with 100V and 6800uF.

From the theorie it should work.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

matthias-nagel avatar image matthias-nagel commented ·

How do I limit the inrush current into the uncharged capacitor at the beginning?

Unfortunately, I have no documentation about the maximum current which the inductor coils are able to handle. I only know that the rated nominal output is 14.5V at 24A. I fear to destroy the magneto in case the maximum current is exceeded (whatever that value is). Hence, I would like to ensure that the inrush current stays within reasonable limits just to be on the safe side.

0 Likes 0 ·
Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

Not at all...

...because when you start the engine, the voltage does not jump from OV to 36V but ramp up, which is no problem at all.

However, you can put a small 0,1 Ohm highpower resistor (>60W) between the rectifier and the condensator.

Note: The resistor eat 2,4V under full load of 24A but for the MPPT it should be fine.

2 |3000

Related Resources

MPPT product page

VictronConnect manual

PWM or MPPT

MPPT calculator

MPPT codes

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic