question

groningen avatar image
groningen asked

MPPT wire box cover and wire sizes

I like installing the wire box covers on all of my MPPT's, it appears better i.e. fit and finish / look and feel.

However, lets say I install a 250/100 MPPT. It can take a wire size of 35mm2 easily. But when I install a wire box (as shown below), the space for the wires only allows me to use a 25mm2 MAX. If I wish to install 35mm2, I have to remove the wire box.

My question is, do you have the same problem and what do you recommend? Do you alter the plastic middle section of the Wire box (as shown below) . Also, the two wires have to share the space with a "holding" screw, so this is probably the root cause of the "reduction in space".

It is the same for the 150/45 (medium) MPPT wire boxes.

1694097871265.png

MPPT Controllers
1694097871265.png (665.0 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

Personally, I wouldn't use this as it looks to restrict the ventilation. Also, if the holding screw goes between the pair of wires, could this damage the insulation and cause a short?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.