question

buney avatar image
buney asked

Victron Multiplus 500W troubleshooting

Hi all. Got a set up for my camper van which includes Victron. I have solar with an MPPT charge controller, DC-DC split charging and a 500w multiplus inverter/charger for shore power.

My system was working flawlessly until recently when I had to move the system lower down on my van wall. Shortly after this, the van went into the dealership for some work and when it came back out, the inverter had the alarm function on (I did not notice any flashing before the dealership). After some fiddling I got it running again with the alarm LED flashing. I tried various things with nothing working until I moved the inverter off the wall and laid it on the floor and hey presto, it was working again! I figured I hadn’t left enough of a gap under the inverter and it was overheating.

All was fine for about a week when all of a sudden the issue started again.

I’ve checked all the wiring with a voltmeter and as far as I can tell it not a wiring issue.

Everything works fine when plugged into shore power; the charge function on the multiplus is functioning fine, as is everything that is 230v plugged into the walls when on charge mode.

All the 12v appliances and system is functioning fine, if relevant.

I can’t see that overheating would be the issue anymore.

The load on the inverter is nowhere near 500w so I can’t see it being too high of a load.

The battery is not below 70% capacity (lithium).

I’m really not sure how to check what else could be wrong with the inverter, as the only issues on troubleshooting are overheating, low battery and too high of a load.

The only thing I can think of is that the battery is a different make from Victron with its own Bluetooth app for reading the battery level - could the inverter be reading the battery level differently and thinking it is too low?

I’m leaving the country for a 9 month trip soon, and I really need to get this working, so any feedback or ideas are appreciated!

victron
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Try getting hold of a USB to MK3 adapter and use VE config to check the alarm settings.

The vertical/horizontal issues could be wiring or something internal. If you can't find anything, get your dealer to check the unit.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic