question

dcareri avatar image
dcareri asked

Skylla IP65 output current is low

I have 2 SKyla IP-65 70A chargers connected in a pair and are having a problem similar to this thread “Skylla IP44/65 Charger Storage Mode Firmware Bug”.

They are both configured as battery type 7 and I have the “watch” setting turned to off and have the latest firmware. I‘m on a boat using a genset to power the chargers.

#1 device runs perfectly at 14.2 Volts and 70 amps in bulk mode. The #2 device usually but not always runs at 13.5 volts and 25 amps in bulk mode. I watch them every time I start charging and #2 starts in degraded mode better than 85-90% of the time.

I’ve tried the following to isolate the issue with no success:

-running both in isolated mode, not bus connected to each other or my cerbo

- turn the #1 charger off

-doing hard reset back to manufacturer defaults and then changing the charge profile.

-it even tried #2 on other profiles and it still mostly starts in degraded mode.

My dealer has been helpful but doesn’t think I have enough evidence to submit a warranty claim. Anyone else seen this issue or have others things I can try?

thanks

Skylla
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
kyerves avatar image
kyerves answered ·

We are having the same issue. We have three Skylla's connected and the 3rd one always derates to about half capacity. Sorry we could not be of more help. Hoping somebody comes up with a solution. Thanks...

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dcareri avatar image
dcareri answered ·

I finally disconnected the second charger from the bus Powered it down, powered it up, and then toggled the watch setup on then off again. They both run a full amperage most of the time now. Whenever one goes funky i do the power up and toggle the watch setting and it starts to run correctly. It’s almost like it thinks watch is on even though it’s off. Sure wish Victron would figure this out. I want to add another Skylla but not doing it that until the two I have reliably work correctly.

2 |3000

nelson-swartz avatar image
nelson-swartz answered ·

I have the same issue only my other sources are Victron solar and a Mastervolt charger. The highest charge amperage I have seen is 23. In bulk mode and when the Mastervolt is turned on the amperage drops by half.

2 |3000

svparem avatar image
svparem answered ·

I have two Skylla IP65 70A chargers and both continuously throttle down due to the watch feature issue. Has Victron really not addressed this issue?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Skylla-IP65 product page (12v, 24v)

Skylla-i product page (24v)

Skylla-TG Charger product page (24v, 48v)

Skylla-TG GMDSS product page (24v)

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic