question

petermol avatar image
petermol asked

How to use a multiplus 2 in my shed

Can i place a Multiplus 2 with batteries in my shed to store and use power of my solar panels with a cable to my house? how can i measure the current to the grid ? is there a remote solution for this?

I hope my question is clear and that someone can answer this.

Greetings, Peter

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
sharpener avatar image
sharpener answered ·

Yes you can. See this link.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

petermol avatar image
petermol answered ·

Thank you for your reaction but i don't see a link

Greetings, Peter

2 |3000

mjs500 avatar image
mjs500 answered ·

how can i measure the current to the grid ? with ET112 energy meter or remote CT 100amp to 50mA 20m max cable length CT

1 comment
2 |3000

matt1309 avatar image matt1309 commented ·
I've seen folk on here even boast over 20m with CT clamp connected via twist pairs so I'd definitely try this before forking out for ET112 or similar supported meter if you're close to the 20m limit. However @mjs500 is right that's the recommended length.
0 Likes 0 ·
matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 answered ·

Hi @PeterMol,

You've got a few options. I'd personally try using twisted pair (cat 5/6 cable) and connect that to CT clamp first to see if that works and run that from the shed. If the run is too long, then swap to ET112 energy meter. You can use the cat 6 for this. There are other options like using a shelly energy monitor with a community made driver installed on your GX device that will let you send the data of a LAN if you have network connection already in the shed. However this is a bit more involved.

Similarly there are options to convert the ET112 to TCP/ip to send over lan however this is less reliable that just a long cat6, so if you are able to I'd run another cat6 specifically for that, maybe at the same time you run the wire to the shed.

Just out of interest what size inverter are you planning? If you are planning 5kva or higher I'd maybe suggest running a 4 core wire from house. 2 cores to take grid connection down to the grid and wire that into ACIN of multiplus (after relevant safety devices RCDs etc). And then use the remaining 2 cores to run power from ACOUT side of inverter back to the house. So the house isnt connected to the grid directly, instead it's connected via multiplus ACOUT output.

That way you can wire the house on ACOUT side and have the benefit of being able to continue to power the house if grid goes out. You just need to make sure you have a multiplus large enough to be able to pass through enough power from the grid that you require in case you run out of solar.

Wiring it this way ie all loads on ACOUT will also remove the need for monitoring the grid input as the multiplus will be the first thing the grid is connected to as the loads if that makes sense?

If you have loads before multiplus on grid side (ACIN side of inverter). Then you will need an energy meter/ct clamp.

2 |3000

petermol avatar image
petermol answered ·

Hello matt1309

Thanks for your very detailed answer :-)
I see that there are many options to measure the current, i have to choose one.
my plan was to buy a multiplus 5kva, that should be enough for storing the solar power i am not using in the day and restore later to my house in the evening.
My goal now is to make a configuration of a multiplus 2 and a 'small' battery pack of 48 volt.
and see how the distrubuting of the power is going.
I want t use all the power of the solar cels for my own and not giving it to the grid.
Later when im having a larger battery pack i can use the ac out of the multiplus but have to dig to put a larger cable of maybe 4x4 mm2 in the ground to the shed.
Am i right that i only have to connect the ac in and that the multiplus takes care of the power distribution?

Greetings, Peter

2 |3000