question

cory-gould avatar image
cory-gould asked

Multiplus II 2x120v failure

After months of waiting and finally install my Multiplus 2x120v it has failed after 48 hours.

While connected to a 30 amp shore power service for 2 days all AC power to the RV suddenly quit. AC power was still being received by the multiplus and charging of the batteries was still functional, just nothing to the AC distribution panel inside the RV. No breakers in the RV had tripped. After a ton of troubleshooting I pulled the AC connections from the multiplus and this is what I found - the neutral connection on AC out 1 was black with about an inch of the insulation melted. The wire is sized accordingly, that is 6/3 copper.

35bfe444-ab6a-4cc2-bbb7-bd608802a68b.jpeg

I have no idea how this has happened. I can only suspect that this is a defective unit but could use any insight folks in this great forum might have.

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

That conductor was not terminated properly.
When the conductor is not terminated correctly, it will have a higher impedance connection than it is supposed to and therefore it will get hot, melt stuff or in terrible circumstances it will set stuff on fire.

I would be contacting the electrician / installer to have them sort this out for you including remedying the damage to the MultiPlus. It is their responsibility to install the equipment correctly and in accordance with local codes.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

cory-gould avatar image
cory-gould answered ·

Yikes. This will be a battle with them I’m sure. I’ve looked at the points where the cable is connected and they look like simple push style, no screws. Does that sound about right? Just want to be prepared for the conversation.

1 comment
2 |3000

Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie commented ·
Hi

Yes i agree with wkirby as you can see the termination was not done correctly as the spring termintion was pushing down on the plastic insulation and only just piecing the insulation to make a contact on the conductors. Causing a high resistance joint. Also applies to screw down terminals,as i have seen that in that past as well.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

0 Likes 0 ·
cory-gould avatar image
cory-gould answered ·

I appreciate the assistance and can see what you’re saying, looks like they did not strip the insulation far enough.

My installer isn’t responding but it is the weekend. Unfortunate thing is we’re in the road and will be now for the next 4 weeks. Does anyone know if these units can be repaired? I’ve searched for a list of certified repair shops on the Victron site but can find anything.

1 comment
2 |3000

shaneyake avatar image shaneyake commented ·
Can you post some pictures of the multiplus? So we can see the damage the unit? Thanks
0 Likes 0 ·
ziawego avatar image
ziawego answered ·

Cory. can you share your design drawing/wiring diagram with me?

Thanks, Norman

gloaks@aol.com

2 |3000