question

james-giel avatar image
james-giel asked

Battery % on display panel versus voltage of batteries

I'm a newbie with a pretty basic question. I've got three Victron batteries in my van and, after only using lights and a fan for three days (no A/C, stovetop, or water pump) the Victron display shows my batteries at 24%. My installer says to ignore the 24% and instead look at the voltage of each of the three batteries (which are each at around 11.5 volts, after each starting at around 13.7 volts after being charged). So, do I have 24% remaining in my batteries or closer to 83% (11.5 divided by 13.7)? Thanks!

voltage
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
mvas avatar image
mvas answered ·

Using the battery voltage to determine an accurate %SOC is difficult. Not impossible, but difficult. Spend a couple of days researching Battery Voltage vs %SOC.

What type of battery do you have?

Post an image of battery and charger parameters.

Clearly, you do not have 83% SOC, because we do not let batteries go to 0 volt.

Is your "installer" certified by Victron? Because no Victron Certified Installer would tell you to use voltage, to compute %SOC.

What is a "Display Panel"? A Cerbo?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

james-giel avatar image
james-giel answered ·

img-3874.jpegImage CaptionThe display panel is what they installed in the cabin of my van (see picture that shows 85% SOC; I don’t have pic showing current 24% SOC). I’ve also posted pics showing the voltage of one of my three batteries at full charge, versus partially depleted battery. What’s the trick to determining my remaining charge?

img-3879.pngImage Caption

img-1597.jpeg

img-3874.jpeg (1.4 MiB)
img-3879.png (257.8 KiB)
img-1597.jpeg (255.9 KiB)
2 |3000

ffvictron avatar image
ffvictron answered ·

@James Giel : I had the same question time ago I taught myself a quick remainder that the SOC as an indicator of the Ah remaining to fully discharge the battery.

Official docs take a look here:

1. https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/SmartShunt/en/operation.html
  2. https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Lynx_Shunt_VE.Can/en/battery-monitor-settings.html

2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

With no/light load at 11.5V your batteries are close to empty. Lithium with BMS, so no damage. But charge them. They will simply cut out to protect the battery when the BMS recognises it's too low.

You don't say what charging you have, but some chargers check for a healthy battery before starting charging. Many of these won't recognise a battery with BMS shutdown as healthy and thus won't start the charge.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic