question

samduncan avatar image
samduncan asked

Is it OK to run multiplus II with intermittent overload?

I am running my Multiplus II GX 5kVA with 3 Pylontech US3000C batteries + 4kW solar to power a small pottery kiln during load shedding (2 hours). The kiln draws 4500W, but is powered on/off by a kiln controller with pulse width modulation switching with a 70 % duty cycle. Based on the limits described in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SXtGIx0x5w I think I'm within the limits.

Everything works, but I do get inverter overload warnings. I don't get alarms - only warnings.

My question is whether I'm going to eventually damage the inverter by doing this, or can I safely continue given that I'm only getting warnings and not alarms?

In my testing I have pushed the inverter to the point that it's gone into alarm mode and shut down for 30 seconds, so I'm assuming this mechanism will act as a safety catch before I can do any actual damage.

(I would obviously like to have a bigger inverter and more batteries to give more headroom, but I'm trying to use my existing system instead of spending a whole lot more on upgrading)

Many thanks

current limit
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@samduncan

Yes, as long as overheating does not happen. Heating is the enemy of electronics. Overloading usually leads to overtemperature.

Obviously the alarm shutdown is not the side you want to experience often. That is the inverter trying not to be damaged. But repeatedly doing that is not recommended.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic