question

mayhem1328 avatar image
mayhem1328 asked

MP II 12/3000/2x120 tripping shore 120 GFCI

I’ve seen this mentioned in other questions with many people experiencing the same type of issue. But the solutions were all over the place.

I have a Class A 50amp with a Victron install multiplus II 2x120 and Lynx, cerbo, mppt and Orion.

Everything works great even under the genny power.

The problem I’m having is when the RV is in storage there is a 120v 20amp plug that I dog bone down to so I can charge batteries (3x100ah lifepo). The pedestal has a GFCI plug that pops after about one minute. Multiplus II turns on…. Then mains.. charging.. then blows the GFCI at the pedestal

I’ve lowered the input amps to 8 amps but still pops when mains come on around 1 minute.

I’ve had battleborn remote in and changed the relay setting in the multi (ground relay) and it still happens.

The Lynx and the multiplus are both grounded to the chassis with 4/0 cable.

My main breaker box has 2 hot legs, neutral to large bus bar and ground (pe) to a bus bar.

I’ve read others mention running N to chassis from multiplus. (Haven’t done this)

And running the multiplus PE to chassis direct (haven’t done this) - except for the multiplus ground

Also heard someone removed N and PE from their bus bars in the breaker box and worked (haven’t done this).

This only occurs when plugged into a GFCI pedestal single phase.

I know others have experienced this… but what was the simple solution?

Everything works fine - just this pesky problem. Install was verified by battleborn. They have no idea what’s causing it.

Pedestal was used prior without issues - has an ic3000 inverter charger - no pops

I do have a surge protector - removed this and still pops the GFCI at the pedestal

Looking for any help with this?

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
mvas avatar image
mvas answered ·

Turn everything OFF. Then connect your dog bone. Start turing things ON, one at a time.

Which device actually causes the GFCI to trip?

Does your frame have any connection to a ground rod / metal, other than the dog bone?

Jack Stands?

All of the amps flowing out the black / hot wire must come back via the white / neutral wire. I think, you are "leaking" current via a ground.

Are the batteries very low? ie requiring a very high bulk charge?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mayhem1328 avatar image
mayhem1328 answered ·

So I turned all breakers off.

Turned multiplus on no problem.

Turned breakers on one by one with no problems. Eventually all breakers. It didn’t pop.

Also checked my N and PE bus bars. No links.

Here’s what I noticed. When I first turn the multi on it goes into bulk charge mode. When it switches to absorption (less than a minute of on) it pops the GFCI pedestal.

Wondering if the multi internals are to blame for the switchover.

2 |3000