question

davidraper avatar image
davidraper asked

Is it possible to ramp up maximum charge rate when there is a load on my system?

Hi.

I have two mppt 100/30 and a smart shunt that are networked via Bluetooth. They charge four 110ah flooded batteries connected 2s2p. I also have an MPP Solar all in one unit that is also charging the batteries but, obviously isn't talking to the others.

In Summer the system can produce more power than I can safely put into my batteries so the charge rate is limited to 40amp maximum between the three chargers. I could add more batteries, but then the bank would never get fully charged in Winter.

I currently have one of the mppt100/30s set to switch on a water heater or pump when battery voltage gets towards fully charged level.

My question is, is there any way to have the smart shunt tell the two 100/30s increase their output amperage when there is less than 40amp going into the battery bank?

current limit
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
mvas avatar image
mvas answered ·

Do you have a 24 volt 220ah battery bank? And you say, the manufacturer suggests Bulk Charge at only 40 amps max? That is like 0.2C charge rate. That is very low for Bulk mode.

The smart shunt is designed to specifically monitor & report the amps flowing into the battery bank.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·
  • If you have a GX device with DVCC enabled to control charging, charge current will be controlled as monitored by the smartshunt, loads aren't included in the limit. So power to loads is limited by the available power from your 3 sources, supplemented by batteries in need.
2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic