question

lee-in-vt avatar image
lee-in-vt asked

UTP Cable for BMV-600

The BMV-600 monitor in my little sailboat won't turn on after a winters rest. I suspect the UPT cable might have failed, the meter isn't lighting at all. I don't see any way to test if the meter is getting power since the connector is like a phone jack. The shunt connections look fine. It's very difficult to trace the battery end of the cable as the cable routing is complicated, hard to access. I wonder if it's possible to purchase a replacement cable for my unit? Any advice is welcome.

BMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
djsmiley avatar image
djsmiley answered ·

Yes, but it might be hard to source. Making one might be the faster option, just use a 6P6C RJ12 connector on both sides. A regular CAT5 cable will work fine, just cut 2 strands since it has 8 conductors. Make a temporary one and just run it from the shunt to the BMV to see if that makes any sense, before attempting the tough job of routing it only to find out it might not have solved the issue.

Personally I doubt if its the cable. Do you read sufficient voltage? A battery when not fully disconnected can easily over-discharge and die during winter storage.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.