question

scf avatar image
scf asked

MPPT powered from house battery

I have an asymmetric system, 24V house battery and 12V starter and alternator. The plan is to use an Orion non-isolated to charge from the starter/alternator domain to the house battery, and an MPPT SmartSolar unit to charge the house battery when not operating the alternator.

I'm looking at using the MPPT in a pinch to recharge the starter battery. While the MPPT would normally be connected PV in, 24V house battery out, in this case it would be 24V house battery in, 12V starter battery out. The MPPT doesn't seem to care where the energy comes from as long as V(pv) >= V(bat)+5V (to start).

Am I missing any subtlety in the specs that would prevent this? I did see the note:

The solar charger automatically detects supported (e.g 12V, or 24V) system voltage (battery voltage) on first power up. If a
different system voltage is required at a later stage, or if the solar charger is connected to a 36V system, this can be manually
configured in the solar charger settings.

Is the voltage detection reset every time the MPPT is fully powered off (no connection at BATT, PV, and/or LOAD), or is it stored in non-volatile memory somewhere?

Thanks!

MPPT ControllersMPPT SmartSolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Better would be a 24/12 Orion to charge/maintain the starter battery.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

scf avatar image
scf answered ·

I'm trying not to buy an extra converter, since this is only to be used for emergencies.

2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Voltage detection is first time only. But I've seen posts indicating that it may work more than once.

2 |3000