question

bazil avatar image
bazil asked

Upgrading to either MultiPlus 12/1600/70 or MultiPlus-II 12/3000/120-32

Could I please ask the community's advice regarding the following:

I use solar panels to charge 2 x 12 V / 200 Ah batteries in parallel that supply a 1000 W inverter. A BMV-712 Smart device with shunt controls the inverter (on/off) via a relay. A small UPS and switching station ensures the switchover to mains is eventless (computer and monitor). On really miserable days I use a CTEK charger to charge the (lead acid) batteries manually.

From my research, I believe the Victron MultiPlus 12/1600/70 would be a viable upgrade. If I've understood correctly, configuration of the conditional AC input connection will mean I can make the batteries the primary input. The built-in UPS function will bridge the switchover both ways and when on AC, the unit will intelligently charge the batteries.

The other alternative would be the Victron MultiPlus-II 12/3000/120-32 which from my research offers better grid compliance and more performance all round.

Would really appreciate any feedback.

Best regards

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

For your case ESS would be the optimal choice, but that requires an GX device.

-------

Since you have two 12V batteries in parallel and you want to replace the inverter, this is a good oportunity to re-wire the batteries in series and switch to a 24V system.

Or, if you can also replace the batteries, too, change to a 48V system.

Higher voltage means lower current for the same power. So thinner wires.

You don't mention anything about panels or MPPT chargers. In case you have them, too, you have to check if the PV voltage is high enough for a higher battery voltage.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.