question

jverret avatar image
jverret asked

Isolation Transformer Specification

I have purchased the 2000W Isolation transformer to be used as 115V/115V. I would like to know the proper amperage limitation for protection. The online manual states 19A, the paper manual states 18A, and the online spec sheet states 16A. Only the online manual has the correct product dimensions, the paper manual and online spec sheet show a smaller device. Should I assume 19A is the proper limitation since that seems to the most current information regarding the device size?

Isolation Tranformer
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
jverret avatar image
jverret answered ·

Inside the transformer is a label that indicates 115V/230V 18A/9A, so that’s what I believe is the correct rating.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvas avatar image
mvas answered ·

No, you should never "assume" when doing electrical engineering. That causes things to start on fire.

1,955 Watts = 115 volts x 17 amps.

And 230 volts is rated @ 8.5 amps.

Double 8.5 amps and you get 17 amps.

It appears that 19 amps is a misprint.

2 comments
2 |3000

jverret avatar image jverret commented ·

I understand your math, but it does not explain the discrepancies in the documentation. What is the true limitation?

0 Likes 0 ·
jverret avatar image jverret commented ·

But no document from Victron indicates 17A. Given there is an amperage limitation, but not a wattage limitation, it appears the wattage specification is nominal while the amperage limit is controlling.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic