question

pauldeegan avatar image
pauldeegan asked

Generator - Options without using "Weak AC" setting large system

Hi all.

I am after suggestions for single phase generators 10kVA - 20kVA that work nicely with Victron Quattro or MPII.

What I mean by "nicely" is that they operate stable WITHOUT using the "Weak AC" setting.

Using this "weak AC" setting is not acceptable. If is very inefficient and the Quattro or MPII is only able to charge at half the DC current as advertised. Currently I have tried a Himoinsa 10kVA with AVR, but without the "Weak AC" setting the input current and the charging current swings around wildly. It seems that the Quatro ramps up to full current very quickly and the generator is a little slow to govern and maintain frequency accurately. It also overshoots and the charger then starts chasing. it is like the charger is trying to sync with the sine wave and it gets very wobbly. There is no issue with staying connected to the generator as I think the waveform will be quite good. The AC voltage remains quite stable, but the frequency is quite wobbly at high charge currents. The charge currents can vary by as much as +-50A DC within a few seconds. I think if the Quattro was a little more smooth and gentle with changes then there would be no issues.

Does anyone have any suggestions with current setup to smooth things out?

Does anyone have any suggestions with generators that are more reactive and stable with frequency?

Generator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/multiplus_faq

Enable the Dynamic current limiter on the General tab in VEConfig. This should help smooth the application of the load to the generator.

My Quattro 48/5k is extremely tolerant of dirty generator power. I have a very cheap Harbor Freight Predator Generator that operates at 60±2.5Hz even under constant load.

I have Dynamic current limiter enabled, and I have UPS function disabled.

Wide input is NOT selected.

Weak AC is NOT selected.

I am able to achieve charging power as limited by the AC input current value.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.