question

nmeyrick avatar image
nmeyrick asked

What type of fuse for phoenix 24/500?

I feel like this is a stupid question, I can see the fuse size recommended in the phoenix manual, but am struggling to actually find a model of fuse that is suitable.

Per the manual as I have >1.5m cable runs I need 10mm cross section cable, and a 25A fuse close to the battery. I bought an in line blade fuse holder, but looking at this it has 4mm wire tails which dissent sound like the right thing to use here. But all of the fuse holders I've found with screw on terminals like Mega fuse, ANL all seem to start at higher than 25A ratings.

What are other people using in this scenario? Can anyone send me a link to a fuse holder that will connect to 10mm cables and receive a 25A fuse? Or am I completely misunderstanding something here?

Thanks

Neil

fuses
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
mvas avatar image
mvas answered ·

The 1.5 meter long wire needs to be 10mm thick because it is very long. The 4mm wire on the 25A fuse is very short in length = OK. The 1.5m long wire is over-sized, due to its long length. The increased size helps reduce voltage drop. The fuse has normal size wires.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nmeyrick avatar image nmeyrick commented ·
Thanks for the feedback MVAS - I take your point that the voltage drop on so short a wire would be small - maybe I’m just overthinking that this doesn’t feel like the “proper” thing to do. If I went this way is there a recommended way to join the two wires when they are such a different size? Any kind of junction that would take the 10mm probably won’t grip the 4?

I get that I could twist or solder the ends together then shrink wrap but I’m wary that this is an install on a boat and I want to ensure any joins are as reliable as possible

Thanks

Neil

0 Likes 0 ·
mvas avatar image
mvas answered ·

I would not attempt to connect the two different size wires together. I would add crimped ring connectors on the ends of each wire. And then, screw each connector to a terminal block.

2 |3000

nmeyrick avatar image
nmeyrick answered ·

Thanks, makes sense. I didn’t have a suitable terminal block but crimped ring terminals onto both wires, then clamped it all together with a small bolt, lock nut & washers with some conducting spray for good measure. Then covered it all with shrink wrap and it’s working fine.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic