question

ross-staunton avatar image
ross-staunton asked

MPPT + DC to DC charging for ebike

Hi everyone! I'm new here & am hoping someone can guide me in the right direction.

I purchased a smart solar mppt to charge a battery during the day from my solar panel.

Does this controller charge DC to DC for aswell or would a seperate controller be needed?

I wanted to charge an ebike battery at night from the solar powered battery.

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Sarah avatar image
Sarah answered ·

Hi @Ross Staunton it’s a bit hard to make assumptions without more information but in most cases you would need to add a second dc-dc charger. Or you could add an inverter and use a ac charger for the bike.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Phil Gavin avatar image
Phil Gavin answered ·

It depends on the details you have omitted from your query.

Yes, an MPPT does DC-DC conversion, but it isn't a universal solution. It must be matched to the requirements.

What is the charging voltage & current demands of the bike?

What are the Vmp & Imp combinations available from the PV side (bearing in mind PV panels can be configured in series and parallel)?

2 |3000