question

Bruce Orr avatar image
Bruce Orr asked

RV Battery loses charge plugged into 30 amp but not 50 amp

I have 2 Quattros for 50 amp power on an RV. Leg 1 goes into first Quattro AC In and Leg 2 goes into second Quattro AC1. When plugged into 50 amp service the batteries stay fully charged. But when plugged into 30 amp service, Leg 1 just directly passes through to Leg 1 on the RV breaker box. And since there is no Leg 2 input, the battery/inverter provide current for Leg 2 RV breaker box. The result is the RV uses far less than 30 amps input and the batteries are being drained by Leg2. Any solutions for this?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

It's implicit, but I'm assuming you're in 120/240VAC split phase configuration for North American power.

Please note that the Multiplus II 2x product was released to address this issue - automatic handling of switching between single and split phase shore power. They are still single phase inverters, but they intelligently handle shore power. If only input on L1 is detected, L1 is shorted to L2, and both legs are fed with the same sinjgle phase 120V. If split phase input is detected. L1 is fed through the inverter to charger/loads and L2 is powered directly by shore.

Standard 30A to 50A adapters short L1 to L2 to provide both legs of the RV panel with 120V. This means the Victrons' L1 and L2 inputs are shorted together. I think you can imagine that this is not good.

The easiest solution would be for you to create a custom 30A to 50A adapter that ONLY passes L1 to L1 and leaves L2 open.

Then in the VE.Bus System Configurator:

1682312313986.png

You need to uncheck the "switch as group" box.

This will allow the L1 inverter to properly sense, synch with and pass through L1 for loads and charger while L2 continues inverting. Provided L1+L2 loads do not exceed your L1 charger capability, there should not be a net battery drain.

1682312313986.png (63.8 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.