question

freerangej avatar image
freerangej asked

P Max of 90w against 480w of Panels?

I've just replaced my solar controller with a victron 100/30 smart controller, feeding into it are a victron 175w and victron 305w panel through Y junctions into a single feed into the controller.

I have a bank of 3 lead acid leisures and the smart solar is on rotary switch position 2 but it states a P Max of 90W, should it not see 480W as the potential max?

thanks in advance

smart solar set-up help
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

You are mixing panels on an mppt, that isn't smart. The specs will be different and performance will be lowest common denominator.

To be expected.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

freerangej avatar image
freerangej answered ·

Is there a workaround for having mixed panels?

1 comment
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

2 MPPT's or change panels to be matching (the better option).

You'd be better off disconnecting the smaller panel, presuming the remaining panel voltage is sufficient to start the MPPT (battery voltage + ~6V.)

The smaller panel seems to be 23V and the larger one 39V.

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

@freerangej victron 175w and victron 305w panel through Y junctions into a single feed into the controller.

Yeah that wont work as the Vmp and Voc of each panel is wildly different. The mppt wont know what Vmp to lock onto.

However the Imp and Isc is similar. Imp of 9.03 v 9.38. Isc of 9.89 v 10.27.

While not recommended, you could wire those 2 panels in series, be under the 100 Voc limit of the mppt, but accept a 10% loss of array capacity.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic