question

tsypowicz avatar image
tsypowicz asked

MPPT Questions

I have 6 x 445w Canadian solar solar panels I'm not sure what MPPT i'm suppose to get. I'm looking at 3 x VICTRON SMARTSOLAR MPPT 150/45. 2 solar panels per MPPT I don't want to leave any meat on the bone should I buy a bigger MPPT? or does the 150/45 for 2 panels do the job?

MPPT ControllersMPPT SmartSolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
ahtrimble avatar image
ahtrimble answered ·
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tsypowicz avatar image tsypowicz commented ·

I tried its blank thats how I ended up here. So far victron has been little to no help

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ tsypowicz commented ·
Try a different browser. The calculator is working perfectly and is the right tool for the job.
1 Like 1 ·
ahtrimble avatar image ahtrimble tsypowicz commented ·
I tried it just now...it comes up and works fine. Check your browser for compatibility.
0 Likes 0 ·
z-zk-z avatar image
z-zk-z answered ·

What is your 445-watt open circuit voltage value? Isn't it close to 50 volts? NOTE: the open circuit voltage increases as temperature drops. You don't have to worry about it, if you live in a warmer area. Anyway, I am using 450-watt solar panels with 49 open circuit voltage and I live in a warm area. I was using Victron MPPT 100/20, with two solar panels in series and never saw voltage going above 90 volts. I am now using a Victron MPPT 150/45. If you want to be safe (and live in a cold area) and got tons of money, go ahead and purchase 3 Victron 150/45 and connect two solar panels in series to each. However, if you want to save money and live in a warmer area, just purchase two Victron 150/45 and connect three solar panels in series to each. However, if you really want to save money and check out how your solar panels are behaving, I would recommend to purchase just one Victron 150/45 and connect two strings of solar panels in parallel (with three panels in series in each string, aka 3S2P) to the MPPT.

I have 6 x 445w Canadian solar solar panels I'm not sure what MPPT i'm suppose to get. I'm looking at 3 x VICTRON SMARTSOLAR MPPT 150/45. 2 solar panels per MPPT I don't want to leave any meat on the bone should I buy a bigger MPPT? or does the 150/45 for 2 panels do the job?

2 |3000

ahtrimble avatar image
ahtrimble answered ·

So your 445w PV is about 9.2a (+/-) @ 48.5v Yes?

I personally would look at running 3 strings of 2 PVs each on a SmartSolar MPPT 150/70 VE.Can.

That gives you 97v & 9.2a on each string. The 3 strings paralleled together gives you 97v @ 27.6a.

That is plenty of headroom on the volts, and plenty of room to add additional strings of PVs when/if you want to. And that means a single MPPT...and that mondel is a very good one!

And yes, I run that MPPT and a non-Can version of that MPPT. I run 6x250w PVs (3S2P) on one array/MPPT and the other MPPT runs 2 separate arrays #1 - 6x250w PVs (3S2P), #2 - 8x100wPVs (4S2P). Each MPPT has a separate sun orientation.

2 |3000

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic