question

brianuseruser avatar image
brianuseruser asked

raspberry pi 3b+ connected to smart shunt and 150/70 MPPT controller disconnections?

I was using a raspberry pi 3b+ connected to a smart shunt 500 and had no issues. I added a new 150/70 MPPT controller and now the smart shunt 500 has random disconnects. I tried switching USB ports and switching the power supply (I am using the official raspberry pi power supply as well as another 2.4amp power supply) with the same disconnects. I did make my own USB cables, but the smart shunt works fine when the MPPT is not connected. Do you think the raspberry PI needs an external powered USB hub to connect multiple devices?

Raspberry Pi
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
@brianuseruser @Jetlag

Moved to modifications space.

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
jetlag avatar image
jetlag answered ·

I had exactly the same issue with the self-made USB cables and the problem there is, that this cables are not potential-free (not isolated agaist each other) and this causes interferences.

Buy one of this original Victron VE.Direct to USB cables (with the small black box on the cable for approx 30€). These are completely isolated and will solve the problem.

As long as you have two Victron components, one original cable (it could also be some other isolated USB adapter as well of course) should already fix the problem.

I changed all the self made adapter in the meanwhile.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

brianuseruser avatar image brianuseruser commented ·
Thanks! I just ordered one. Hopefully it works.
0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

You should use isolated USB cables for ALL your connections. There are other ground-loop possibilities which causes comms issues or other issues like incorrect shunt readings.

2 |3000