question

mallkuss avatar image
mallkuss asked

Pylontech with MPPT and Phoenix Inverter possible?

I would like to install some solar panels on the roof of my garage. They collect power throuhout the day, and I can charge my electric car during the night. In case the stationary battery is empty it switches to grid power. Charge power will be 2kW only.

Please see this plan for details: https://abload.de/img/plan-xaverpjjsk.jpg

Is it better to use a Multiplus here? Can I limit the charge power to 1 A and switch to grid also if the battery runs low?

According to the comments on this page a pure Phoenix inverter is not working here?

https://www.victronenergy.comlive/battery_compatibility:pylontech_phantom

Thank you very much for your comments!

Pylontechoffgrid
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@mallkuss

The Phoenix has no way of connecting to Grid, so it is best to use a Multiplus.

I was unable to view the plans for your system.

You can set the multiplus internal charger off completely so it does not charge at all from grid but does have the capability of switching the loads to grid at a lower SOC as set in the ESS menu.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mallkuss avatar image mallkuss commented ·

https://abload.de/img/plan-xaverpjjsk.jpg

Sorry I hope the link is now working...

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ mallkuss commented ·
What Phoenix did you have in mind?
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ Alexandra ♦ commented ·
I have never used a fliafax for transfer, 16A x 230v as that is around 3600W and is smaller than the ev charger, so should be big enough for your charger.
0 Likes 0 ·
mallkuss avatar image
mallkuss answered ·

@Alexandra : I was planning to go with this unit:

https://greenakku.de/Wechselrichter/Offgridwechselrichter/Victron-Phoenix-Wechselrichter/Phoenix-Wechselrichter-48-5000-230V-VE-Bus::824.html

48V / 5000VA

But taking your reply into account I think a Multiplus als would do the job.

And I do have an additional charge just in case I need it.

That results in the following setup:

https://abload.de/img/plan-xaver-issue2ibkph.jpg

@Alexandra: I couldn't find approval in the documentation what happens is the battery is depleted and grid is availible. What you say makes perfect sense, but how can I be sure?

Thanks for your replies so far :)

3 comments
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@mallkuss

When connecting to the grid you will need to check with local regulations as to what is required.

But the options available are Virtual switch (where the grid can be treated as a backup and programmed to connect only under certain conditions.)

You can disable the internal charger if you don't want it to charge from grid.

There are other assitants available if you would prefer to use those instead. With an AC ignore using the generator assistant, you can acheive a similar setup as virtual switch with other options available.

The product page is here. It has more information and manuals linked at the bottom.

0 Likes 0 ·
mallkuss avatar image mallkuss commented ·

@Alexandra

Thanks a lot, that sounds good, but also not very easy to do...

Some background information: I do need my car fully charged in the morning, and if there is not enough power in the batteries from the day the car has to be charged using grid power.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ mallkuss commented ·

The multi will do that by switching loads to the grid a certain state of charge that is programmed in.

Ve config can be used in demo mode so you can play with ideas for settings.

And so does victron connect.

If you would prefer a local dealership can also help with programming and setup as well.

0 Likes 0 ·
mallkuss avatar image
mallkuss answered ·

short update: in the mean while my equipment was delivered and installed.

Basic functionality is given: currently the system has no connection to mains, so just the power delivered by the solar modules is availible. I'm currently on a business trip, and as soon as I return I will try to get it running with switchover to mains if the battery is empty.

Thanks so far for your help!

2 |3000

Nicola avatar image
Nicola answered ·

any update mallkuss about your system?

2 |3000

mallkuss avatar image
mallkuss answered ·

Thanks @Nicola for asking :-)
The system now is running for almost a year now, and in general I'm very happy. The Switch-over to mains is working fine, I can adjust the voltage / battery SoC where it happens. Also charging my car during night runs smooth. So I can recommend the setup linked above for a similar job.

But I have a problem that - I think - has become worse in the last few months, this is obviously why I'm here again.

Short system summary: three MPPTs connect to 8 Pylontech Batteries and to a Multiplus 48V/5000W unit, controlled and monitored by a Cerbro Unit. Mode set to DVCC with 125A charge limit and 52.5V EoC Voltage.

The Problem:

If no AC load is active all the sun power goes directly to the battery pack. That's OK.

If I start charging during full sun, the power splits between car and battery as expected.

BUT: sooner or later the system switches off one or even two mppts, and charges the car partly from the battery during full sunlight. That looks like this:

[url=https://abload.de/image.php?img=screenshot_20230311-1nqfkq.png][img]https://abload.de/img/screenshot_20230311-1nqfkq.png[/img][/url]

You can see one mppt is cloase to V_oc, two are running on full throttle.

If I stop charging the car the mppts are re-enabled again, and dropped a few minutes later.

I did so far:

- update Cerbro FW to 2.93

- disconnect the data link between Cerbro and Multiplus as charging seems to have an impact on the situation.

- added some additional cooling to the MPPTs as they are running close to their maximum ouput current (wasn't expecting the solar panles to provide that much power).

Everything looks nominal, the MPPTs have no error, the battery modukes allow charging,...

I have access to the logfiles via ssh, but they were filled with IPV6 error message, that should be fixed now. the next time it happens I should have a logfile...

Does anyone have an idea what is wrong here, or where I can start searching in the logfiles?

Update: went close to the MPPTs, two of them with BT (Smart solar 150/45) and one without (blue solar 150/35).

The two featuring BT did several updates, so let's wait and see if that already fixed it. Updates for the MPPT 150/35 and the Multiplus can be seen in the VRM portal. Will do that and report back here...

2 |3000

Nicola avatar image
Nicola answered ·

Hi Mallkuss, thanks for the answer: considering your reports, I did a test with almost half max load and I was surprised to see the same behavior: even if P load < P panels, the system put in discharge batteries for a few watts.

All my items are updates to the last firmware:

1679423013202.png

take a look:

1679423125253.png

1679423013202.png (12.7 KiB)
1679423125253.png (101.6 KiB)
2 |3000