question

alaskannoob avatar image
alaskannoob asked

Okay to use 4/0 cable with Multiplus II 48/8000?

The manual recommends 70mm squared cable. But would a 4/0 cable fit with an outside diameter of .710" with an M8 lug? The cable I'm looking at using is:

• 4/0 AWG
  • Class K Copper Stranding (2109/30)
  • .530" Conductor Outside Diameter
  • .085" Insulation Thickness
  • .710" Finished Outside Diameter
  • Ampacity at 30°C (86°F)*: 440
  • Ampacity at 40°C (104°F)*: 411
Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered ·

Run 2x 50mm2 as there is two pairs or incomer bolts for DC input, as 120mm2 will be hard to bend etc in tght spaces etc.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

alaskannoob avatar image alaskannoob commented ·

Thanks, that makes sense with the two terminals.

But it also complicates my circuit breaker connection if I need to wire two positive wires into the 1P breaker rather than one.

I suppose I could have two wires from the MP go into a small bus bar, then use a 4/0 wire from the bus bar into the 1P circuit breaker and then on to the Lynx (assuming the Lynx distributor can handle a 4/0) cable.

0 Likes 0 ·
The 4/0 cable I have has .710 inch finished outside diameter including wire and insulation. That's just over 18mm diameter.

I don't understand what "cross sectional" numbers are. When trying to fit a wire into a hole or onto a terminal, isn't wire diameter including the insulation the only number that matters?

0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered ·

No, get a installer to do it for you they know what is required.

1 comment
2 |3000

That's not an option where I'm at.

1 Like 1 ·
Herve RV Nizard avatar image
Herve RV Nizard answered ·

We use 4/0 for 48/8000

img-20220306-105148.jpg

3 comments
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
I think you should check this. 4/0 is less than 120mm square, your 2/0 figure is a long way out.
0 Likes 0 ·
alaskannoob avatar image alaskannoob kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

Those numbers (at least for 4/0) correspond with the table here. Although it has the 2/0 size as 3/0.

If you think the 4/0 number is off, perhaps the difference is insulation? I'm guessing his/her numbers are for copper only and don't include insulation.

https://www.electricalworld.com/en/AWG-to-MM-Cable-Conversion-Guide-and-Calculator/cc-51.aspx

0 Likes 0 ·

Thank you. I think this guy installed 4/0 on his MP2: https://youtu.be/kBYgkN1_r8Y?t=116

I'm not sure what kind of lug he's using, it seems like it has a 90 degree bend in it.

I wonder if somebody has made an adapter that fits over both Victron terminals and has one large terminal on top, like a mini-bus bar? That might make it easier to put a larger cable in there without having to double your lugs with two smaller wires, and double your opportunity to get cable lengths mismatched, and complicate hooking into circuit breakers and such downstream.

But this guy seems like he used a 4/0 without any issue. What kind of lug did you use?

0 Likes 0 ·
Jeremy Albrecht avatar image
Jeremy Albrecht answered ·

I won't argue with the other experts here, but I will say that I've installed and used several 3000VA 120/12 Multipluses (both the older, and the new 120x2 MPII) using 4/0 and the cable gets only slightly warm when running at max capacity for hours on end.

4/0 seems to be the way most installers in the US are doing it. it certainly has the ampacity.

2 |3000