question

sander-kersten avatar image
sander-kersten asked

Dimmer after multiplus 12/3000

I have a boiler that is 2000watt and a Victron multiplus 12/3000

I want to be able to determine the wattage it uses so I want to place a (3000watt) dimmer before the boiler. So I can spread out the load of heating water and make hot water on sunny days when the solar panels are working and I am not connected to shore power.

Is this possible with this thing:

https://proheating.nl/product/dimmer-plug-in-3000-watt-met-draaiknop-zonder-aan-uit-penaarde/

Thanks

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
djsmiley avatar image
djsmiley answered ·

You can, but running the multiplus for the boiler is not really effective. Also, unlikely you have 2000W of surplus solar. I would recommend switching the boiler to a 12V heater element (200-400W or so depending on your boiler capacity), and use a SOC based switch.
That would automaticly enable/disable the boiler eg when >95% SOC switch on and switch off at <90% SOC, thus allowing you to only use it with surplus solar. The dimmer is manually controlled...

A more DIY approach is building your own PWM-based dimmer based on available solar output. That will give a even more continous-regulated heater depending on available solar.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sander-kersten avatar image
sander-kersten answered ·

That would be possible but when connected to shore power I would still like to be able to use the full power of the boiler and heat up water more quickly

1 comment
2 |3000

djsmiley avatar image djsmiley commented ·
Add a changeover relay powered by EHU. If on shore power, the heater element is directly powered (thus full power), and when offgrid PWM dimmed depending on surplus power.

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Nothing wrong with this approach, have a friend with a much larger dimmer regulating power to a geyser on a 3kva MP2. Works well.

2 |3000