question

Laurens D avatar image
Laurens D asked

Primary ground connection required for the multiplus ii?

I'm currently setting up an Multiplus II GX 48/3000 however the device has a primary ground connection.

The PE of the AC is shared with it (as expected) but is the primary ground connection required? I thought it might have been something depending on preference/setup you might want to earth it close to the device itself, but what I do like to know is there a specific reason from safety perspective?

I'm setting it up in home, so I already have AC in and out connected to earth; when looking at the manual they do not really say anything about Primary ground connection, so my initial guess was it's not important but I'm not here to guess, if it has a specific purpose for DC I might have a bad time*

1677049251152.png

Multiplus-II
1677049251152.png (239.1 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
sharpener avatar image
sharpener answered ·

It will work out of the box but ESS is easy enough to get going once you have installed the ESS Assistant. There are lots of settings so read the ESS manual carefully, you can choose whether to export from AC or DC connected PV and by how much.

Regarding the earthing, all three AC connections are bonded internally to the earth stud so connect this to your main household earth point in accordance with NL regulations. I don't know if you will need an earth rod as well in island mode, the handbook I recommended which is here is not very specific but there are people in Almere who can advise on this (!).

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sharpener avatar image
sharpener answered ·

Need more detail of the application e.g. are you wanting to run in island mode during power cuts?

Where are you located? Earthing requirements vary a great deal from country to country. In the UK you would need an earth rod <200 ohms for island mode but here the term "Primary ground connection" is not commonplace.

See also the Victron publication "Wiring Unlimited" which has some good stuff in it.

2 |3000

Laurens D avatar image
Laurens D answered ·

@sharpener Sorry about that! I'm located in the Netherlands, The system will primarily be supporting the running devices and charging when power is cheap. But ESS and selling power when it's high priced would be nice to have.

> Need more detail of the application e.g. are you wanting to run in island mode during power cuts?

- This would be nice, but that is not required because where I live in general there is no power outages (or well, maybe a minor one once in a few years). I want to check, this is an option right and not by default? In my head I got that it will 'turn off' automatically when power stops (AC-in side, not out)

> term "Primary ground connection" is not commonplace.

- Yeah, it seems to be shared between all ports so If you have a nice earthing spot outside the multiplus, it might be a nice way to earth it. But I was not sure whether it's something that has to be connected or not.

2 |3000