question

Laurens D avatar image
Laurens D asked

Multiplus 2 48/3000 AC Wire size

Hallo,

I currently have a nice multiplus ii system I would like to connect to my AC size; however I noticed that they recommend a 32A breaker with this system, I'm not sure why you would need a doubled 2x16 for this to function.

I assumed it might be because the way it might be setup?

For example just for charging, it'll do 35 amps which is 35/48 = 1680w which is easily within spec; when using 'ac out' and 'ac out2' there is in generally not much to worry about because it will take it from the battery.

I expect this comes from power assist where it sends back power; so it can get theoritically doubled? is there a way to keep it within 16amps with ESS? I really would love to enjoy the ESS.

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Laurens D

The terminals can only fit 1 x 16mm². See the tech specs.

And 16mm² should be plenty. Most entire DBs in houses are supplied by that size gauge off a 63A main breaker.

32A breaker on the out maybe, then the AC gauge can be 8mm²? As the inverter can pass through 50A so incoming can be much larger breaker.

The 50A incoming allows the battery to charge at full current and pass the full capability of the inverter through at the same time.

Ans yes you can keep it lower on the incoming with the input current control. Some guys use this feature and use smaller gauge AC wire on the incoming with smaller breakers. But if you are wanting to feedback. Keep the size to the incoming side larger.

BTW power assist only works to loads (where the inverter adds power to the incomjng grid feed from the battery to loads on the ACOUT) not back to the grid.

Feedback from solar to grid, is a feature of ESS -if allowed by your service provider. Otherwise power assisting is done automatically by ESS.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Laurens D avatar image Laurens D commented ·

Hallo @Alexandra,

Sorry about that I ment with the 2x16, 2x16amps. I only got wire, I'm not sure what gauge the wire is it could be between 2.5mm and 4.5mm (installation wire); I still have to look into that; can't find my caliper unfortunately.

So I'm sure it can handle 20 amps at the very least; but this is < the 32a specification; the main fuse is 16amps (would want to keep it under that).

The idea is rather simple, charging off-peak (230v) and when the power is expensive it will help the grid powering the devices ; but the load on the cable must be < 16amps always (there will be no solar).

ESS is nice to have, but not required; I would love being able to send back to the grid (my power company also support this), it's delicious with dynamic tariffs.

But unfortunately got to do with the current resources I have, I cannot change the cables, nor the breaker (will also be adding a breaker of course near the device itself).

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·
@Laurens D

The 4.5mm would work comfortably.

You can always set the input current limit down to match the capability of the wire. That is what owners in mobile applications do with limited shore connections.

2.5mm is also ok for 15/16A.

You can still ESS being a bit more careful though.

2 |3000