question

svviolethour avatar image
svviolethour asked

Can MultiPlus 2000va handle a 1500w hot water heater?

I'm debating between the Multiplus 2000va or 3000va for a 300ah lithium system.

Many people prefer the 3000va but the 2000va would be much easier to fit in a tight sailboat compartment and I might be able to keep my 60 mm2 battery cables (in between 1/0 and 2/0) instead of upgrading to 4/0.

The highest load we'd like to run is a 1500w household water boiler (kettle) or the boat's 1500w water heater, and don't need to run any other AC loads simultaneously. So I think the question is whether this should work with a 2000va and how reliably?

I've heard it's pushing the limits of the 1600w continuous rating @ 25C (77 F). At 40 C (104 F), the continuous rating drops to 1400w.

But if the inverter is used in high latitudes (we sail mainly in Southeast Alaska where bilge temps - near where inverter will be - are typically 40-50 F or 4-10 C), how likely is it that the inverter would self heat to 104 F? I'm thinking maybe that's more common in typical tropical regions most people sail in, where ambient temps are higher?

Anyone have experience using a 2000va for occasional 1500w water heating in cold climates?

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @svviolethour

Usually when you have to resort to calcs on ambient temps you're already sailing a bit too close to the wind. A 3000 would be more suitable, but if you do still run with the 2000, be prepared to change out your kettle for a less powerful one, and even see if your heater can be retrofitted with a smaller element. This is just for the situation where the choice turns out to be a poor one, and there's an escape means.

Might not matter so much if you have a backup genset, as that can be incorporated into the Multi, as it can 'mix' ac input with it's own.

Long term living with these devices is usually much easier with a bit of capacity up the sleeve. It's your gamble to take.. and I wish you well with it.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.