question

flexbex avatar image
flexbex asked

Mppt start procedure

Hi I have the mppt solar charger. In the manual it says I have to connect first the battery and then connect the solar panel. Now when I park the van for a longer time I disconnect the battery from the system. When I reconnect the battery do I always have to follow this procedure. Or would it be enough to make a switch to connect the battery and leave the solar panel connected

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

The documentation seems quite specific:

6.5. Shutdown and restart procedure

The solar charger is always active when the PV and/or the battery terminals are powered. The solar charger does not have an on/off switch.

To shut down the solar charger, perform these steps in the prescribed order:

1. Disconnect the PV supply to the solar charger by switching the PV supply off or by removing the fuse(s).

2. Disconnect the battery supply to the solar charger by switching the battery supply off or by removing the fuse(s).

To restart the solar charger after it was shutdown, perform these steps in the prescribed order:

1. Connect the battery supply to the solar charger by switching the battery supply on or by inserting the fuse(s).

2. Reconnect the PV supply to the solar charger by switching the PV supply on or by inserting the fuse(s).

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Ideally you'll have a proper solar isolator switch between the panels and MPPT, as well as a battery isolator switch. Solar connectors are not designed to be connected/disconnected when there's output on the solar panels, arcing can/will occur.

2 |3000

flexbex avatar image
flexbex answered ·

Yes that's what I have. One breaker on the PV side and one on the battery side. So I will follow your advice and the advice in the manual to always do the two step disconnect procedure

2 |3000