question

ako avatar image
ako asked

Charging Lithium with Older Blue Solar MPPT

I would like to change from AGM to Lithium batteries but because many require 30 mins or less absorption im not sure if its going to be Possible without changing my Charge Controller which i dont want to do, its the Older Blue Solar metal unit with a screen and 4 buttons for setup etc the front .

The MPPT i have now uses the voltage in the early hours to deterring the absorption duration , and i am always in the 24.6-24.8 range so its a 5 hour duration which is also what Trojan batteries state , unfortunately the method is far from perfect as a motor cutting in during the hours before charging drops my battery's voltage to just under the threshold so i often have to manually end absorption rather than let it run for 10 hours which is the duration for below 24.4 volts . The units are not programmed to take into account the drop in voltage which is a second or two then returns to normal

End amps also fail to do what is necessary and go to float at 2 amps , if theres any load then the current for that wil take the figure above 2 amps , with no power my end amps are 1.9 amps and often reached when the inverter is turned off and with no load it will immediately go into Float but turned back on with even a small 20 watt bulb the end amps coming in are taken above 2 amps and holds the charge in Absorption . Im surprised Victron has not addressed either of these issues .

My concern is that these anomalies will damage Lithium batteries as i dont know how resilient and forgiving they are , thermal runaway is a concern .

MPPT Controllers
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
Please supply a model #, or a link to you olde bluesolar mppt. Even a photo?

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
von-baron avatar image
von-baron answered ·

What sort of Lithium cells are you thinking to use ?

Generally LiFePO4 are commonly used these days, which do not suffer from thermal run away like other Lithium chemistries. A lot of people are often scared or confused when making the leap from old style lead acid to Lithium, but think about it, Lithium has been around for a long time now, in all our modern day electronic items. You will find that if you do it correctly, you are likely to be very happy with the change and results. I have found LiFePO4 to be very reliable and forgiving, and I have seen them under extreme situations.

There is more than enough good and reliable information online about LiFePO4 cells or batteries to assist you in understanding more.

I sounds like you know your old Trojans well and how to work your system, but is does also seem that it would be worthwhile to look into upgrading the system as a whole. If your current system is struggling to get fully charged, is it possible that the solar panels are either not performing or under sized for your load or is it that the trojans are now just so leaky that electrons simply fall out ?

As klim8skeptic mentions, some photos or diagrams of your existing system components could be helpful.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ako avatar image
ako answered ·

Thank you , i feel a little more confident now about the changover . My system at present performs well in all but bad weather , Bulk to Asorption by mid morning and float by mid afternoon , SOC in batteries around 70% left early morning but in bad weather i struggle so hoping Lithium will improve that by having a deeper DOD rather than increase lead battery bank size , its 400 amp hours , ample for normal usage but very little to cover the occasional bad days so having to use generator for a couple of hours each time . I already upgraded my system , from Morningstar PWM to Victron MPPT last year , basic Sinewave Inverter to Multiplus Inverter Charger , 16 assorted aging Ploy panels to 4 much larger new Mono ones with greater output overall .

There seems to be a lot mentioned of Shunts and Battery management systems , Lithium appears to be a lot more complicated and not as straight forward as Lead in getting them to full charge and knowing what charge they have at any particular time .

2 |3000