question

cousinlarry avatar image
cousinlarry asked

Voltage discrepancy- big swings under and over battery voltage

I have a smart shunt and a smart solar. The shunt seems to be reporting the correct voltage, but the smartsolar is all over the shop- during the day it’s saying the battery is 14+ and at night 8 volts. The battery voltage, according to the smartsolar, is always out of range to charge- so it never charges the battery from solar even though panel voltage is 60+. Here’s some screenshots https://imgur.com/a/jI7AhKu

bde768ac-b498-4dba-aaf5-67d6c0ee77a9.png

Why would there be such a wide discrpancy? I’m camping right now and this is the first time I’ve seen it, going to get a multimeter today and test.

voltage
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

I presume that the MPPT absorb Voltage is set 14.3V?
With MPPT reaching absorb Voltage with zero current and zero yield today I'd immediately think that the MPPT is disconnected from the battery for some reason. Check connections and fuses or circuit breakers / fuses between the battery and the MPPT.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

cousinlarry avatar image
cousinlarry answered ·

In the end a fuse had blown between the battery and the smartsolar. The erroneous voltage reading on the smartsolar was a red herring… I wonder why any voltage is listed if the battery is not connected?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic