question

dpritt avatar image
dpritt asked

Looks like I am lost customer

I was looking at a Victron ESS system, but my supplier has just informed me that he cannot supply Victron equipment any more as the Multiplus II is not authorised to connect to the UK grid, and is now going to sell me an alternative from GroWatt.

Deeply disappointed with Victron, I thought they were a professional outfit, I have been told that the change was announced two years ago, and re-certification required, but some companies ignored the requirement.

Can anyone at Victron give me a timetable for certification, if it is likely in the next few months I will delay my installation?

Otherwise another win for China.

Multiplus-II
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

johnone avatar image johnone commented ·

Re Growatt, as of just now, there are 101 Growatt devices listed as compliant on the ENA Type Test Register - non of which are single phase inverters of 'Energy Storage Device' type. That is, there are no devices comparable with a one phase Multiplus II 48/5000 - I guess someone trying to sell Growatt devices wouldn't want to admit that?

0 Likes 0 ·
6 Answers
Jason - UK avatar image
Jason - UK answered ·

You might find that the Multiplus is approved under G99 by the Type Test Register has not been updated yet and as all DNO's reference the type test register, most people assume the Multiplus is not approved but if you send in the G99 certificate from the Victron Multiplus downloads section, you should find it is accepted.

https://www.victronenergy.com/inverters-chargers/multiplus-ii-gx#certificates

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dpritt avatar image dpritt commented ·
Jason, I am local to you, would you be willing to share details of who your dealer is as an alternative to try?

email dpritt@tizie.com.

Regards

Dave

0 Likes 0 ·
johnone avatar image
johnone answered ·

Not sure that is correct @Jason - UK but it will vary by DNO. For example, nationalgrid (formerly Western Power) currently deem the Multiplus II 48/5000/70-50 to be non-compliant as it is 'awaiting assessment' by ENA. Useful to recognise here that ENA isn't just a repository, they assess applications (using an outside company).

As for when @dpritt , the latest application for the above device was submitted on 15th Nov. ENA usually take 4-6 weeks but expedited a batch this week. All manufacturers are in the same position - yes, some have gained compliance, many have had applications turned down. In short, it's a period of chaos given number of people wanting to install at the same time as new regs have come into force.

2 |3000

dpritt avatar image
dpritt answered ·

Thanks for the extra information, I will go back to my supplier and check but his recent enquiry indicates that SSE, my DNO, say they will not permit a connection of a 48/5000 as it is not approved.

I have a existing export permission I will not exceed, I just want to stop sending 50% of my solar output to the grid for a pittance by storing the surplus and using it myself.

I am happy to give it a month or two as the installer is busy until the new year anyway, but need to decide what kit they will install to get it ordered, don't want to find my self paying for something I cannot use.

What a mess!

2 comments
2 |3000

Jason - UK avatar image Jason - UK commented ·
@dpritt are you looking at just having a Victron system installed for the batteries or are also having a separate PV system with inverter as well?
0 Likes 0 ·
dpritt avatar image dpritt Jason - UK commented ·
I was looking at adding some extra DC connected solar to an existing SolarEdge installation alongside the Victron Multiplus, the additional solar panels will make up for deep shading from my neighbour's trees of my main array at this time of the year when the sun is low, but will not as effective during summer.
0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered ·

Hi

The Growatt don't even bother with, terrible software no where good as the Victron software no real support. Victron is the best out there you won't be disappointed, much more features and fine tuning for all applications with mictro grids etc. And you can use what ever battery chemisty you like.

Most of the Chinese software is all the same format amongst them all, slow updates, real time data cloud very very slow, can't change much in the settings like Victron can.

As i have installed Chinese inverter for others, and lots of Victrons, Fronius, Firmer etc, the European gear and software is much better.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

I don't work for Victron, am just a keen user.

There are other threads about the certification. It's easy to only blame Victron, but from the other threads it's clear that there is no timetable as the applications are with the certification authorities and Victron can only wait for and respond to responses.

Clearly, from the Victron side it's top priority.

Given @Rob Duthie comments, I'd wait. Impatiently.

2 |3000

ahtrimble avatar image
ahtrimble answered ·

Better think twice about GroWatt. I watched a dealer install a couple dozen of them...most of them are now in his warehouse for warranty work. He no longer sells GroWatt. I installed one for a neighbor...took 3 weeks of troubleshooting to get it stabilized. Stick with Victron, get the approval, sleep better at night.

2 |3000