question

rspott avatar image
rspott asked

Quatto Turns off when in charge-only mode

I have an 11.0 kW 50 Hz generator connected to the AC1 input of a Quattro 5000VA.

When the generator is running I put the Quattro into charge-only mode per https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2018/04/20/multiplus-quattro-inverter-chargers-improved-current-limits/ so I can pass power through the device directly from the generator.
Generally I am passing 2600-4000W of power through. This consumption is well within the available power from the generator and the Quattro.

However, when I do the above, the Quattro simply switches off completely.

The power consumers are air conditioners that do have a high locked rotor amperage but that too is well within the available power from the generator.

Why is the Quattro shutting down?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rspott avatar image rspott commented ·

I have been watching the voltage from the generator. It has not yet fallen below the AC Low Disconnect (180V).
When the switch is ON I get an inverter overload. I would think the power would passthrough.

Is there some setting I am missing?

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

I guess the voltage of the generator drops below the set "low input voltage" level and the Quattro disconnecs the generator and shuts down.

Why you don't switch to ON? You will also have the passthrough but the Quattro won't switch off if the generator voltage drops.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

njms17000 avatar image
njms17000 answered ·

hello, I have similar problem, on charger only mode, my Victron quattro have same behavior with generator or shore power connected on any ac input 1 or 2. it shut off. when is in 'on' mode it goes to inverter mode and shut off when try go to charge.

2 |3000